Trout in Rideau?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Trout in Rideau?

Post by ipjrobson »

I went fishing for catfish and panfish on the Rideau river this past weekend. I saw a few other people fishing out there too.

I was down by Mooney's bay and there were a couple of guys fly fishing close to the rapid. They would cast their fly upriver and let it float down( at least that it was it looked like) I couldn't see what they were catching but based on the fact that they were fly fishing and then releasing the fish in the water it seemed as if they were catching trout.

Have any of you ever caught trout by Mooney's bay ? If it wasn't trout any other ideas what it could be?
andrew1234
Participant
Participant

Re: Trout in Rideau?

Post by andrew1234 »

I have never heard of trout it the Rideau. That however doesn't mean they are not in there but I do highly doubt it
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

One can fly fish for anything really, I'd have to wonder if maybe suckers were running? They'll readily take a fly. Trout are a remote possibility, but I'd doubt it.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

They were clearly NOT fishing for OOS bass.... :laughing-rolling:
Dobyns Army member
Troutskiii
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Troutskiii »

No Trout around those parts as far as I know, could of been fly fishing for any species really....
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Fly-fished there before for walleye.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

There are no trout in the rideau. To be honest I'm surprised they were catching anything on the surface. I would bet they were using sinking flies and catching out of season bass.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Agree with the others, you can fly fish for anything. I've caught loads of panfish on dry flies in the lakes out here, so I don't see why they wouldn't take them on rivers if they are in there.

Also, casting upstream and letting your fly work it's way downstream is how you present virtually every fly pattern when fishing moving water, with the exception of "swinging" or "skating" flies across the current or stuff like that. This is done for dry or wet patterns. Back home in BC, I'd always fish weighted nymphs that way in the spring. Cast upstream, let it sink and work it downstream near the bottom. You can catch whatever is in the river doing that. Trout, whitefish, pike minnow, suckers, etc. If it eats bugs or minnows, you can catch it with that technique.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I agree also with the above, I fly fish also and I catch anything that bites on flies even frogs.. from bass to Pike or panfish.. just a different rod and technic in the end.. :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

1. No trout in the Rideau
2. I fly fish for anything
3. They're most likely just "washing their flies as legally only panfish and coarse fish are currently open, and even so the water is still too cold. If the weather holds, the crappie bite should start up next weekend. :P
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

The crappie bite has started, had to work my way thru about 50 bluegill to get 8 crappie. The top fly, by far, size 10 Beadhead Zug Bug.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Thanks for the insight everyone. Yeah you can fly fish for anything but I guess in my mind a lot of people fly fish for trout but that isn't necessarily true.

I need to get out my fly fishing rod for some panfish.