Finally!! Fishing report.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Finally!! Fishing report.

Post by Peron »

Went out from 5:30 to 7:15 fishing blobs of worms in a shallow bay, Ottawa river maybe 4 feet deep. AT LAST! Catfish!
Landed one, missed one and just before 7:00 had a heart pumping channel cat that would have probably pushed 10 lb if i had landed it. At the very end it went right under the big rock I was standing on and no amount of anything would dislodge it and the hook came out in the end. Now that they are biting i will bring my net next time!!!!!!

Anyways, heres the consolation prize:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (4.99 MiB) Viewed 5631 times
Good to be back in business!
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Finally!! Fishing report.

Post by Jul0682 »

Right on man looking good . Congrats on the catfish :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Yup they seem to be on on the Ottawa... I got my first on Sunday almost a twin of yours!
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Rule #1. Never go catfishing without a net :lol: :lol:

Good to see they're biting
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Peron wrote:Landed one, missed one and just before 7:00 had a heart pumping channel cat that would have probably pushed 10 lb if i had landed it. At the very end it went right under the big rock I was standing on and no amount of anything would dislodge it and the hook came out in the end. Now that they are biting i will bring my net next time!!!!!!
Rod that would have been the perfect opportunity to try your hand at noodling. :)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I look forward to getting out there this weekend! I just have to convince the kids to go out there too!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

smitty55 wrote:
Peron wrote:Landed one, missed one and just before 7:00 had a heart pumping channel cat that would have probably pushed 10 lb if i had landed it. At the very end it went right under the big rock I was standing on and no amount of anything would dislodge it and the hook came out in the end. Now that they are biting i will bring my net next time!!!!!!
Rod that would have been the perfect opportunity to try your hand at noodling. :)

Cheers
"Noodling can result in superficial cuts and minor wounds to the noodler. This can be reduced by wearing gloves and other protective clothing. Losing fingers is also a risk, whether from the bite or infection. Most holes are deep enough that diving is needed, so there can be a danger of drowning. A person with confident swimming abilities may be caught off guard by the sudden added strain of carrying a large fish to the surface. Spotters can alleviate this danger, but it is still present. A wounded noodler ten to twenty feet underwater might not be able to return safely to the surface and may drown. Clothes may get tangled or snagged on roots or rocks, so some noodlers wear only denim shorts.

The greatest physical threat posed to noodlers, however, comes from other forms of aquatic life found in catfish holes. Far more dangerous than catfish are alligators, snakes, beavers, muskrats and snapping turtles, who will take over abandoned catfish holes as homes of their own."

Sign me up.... :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW there were two muskrats swimming in and out near me for the whole time... They love human fingers from what I read :lol: And that denim short thing in 10 degree water sounds peachy!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Good stuff!! It's on. Bring it. :D
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

I would not fish them in a box, I would not fish them with a fox.
Would not fish them here or there, would not fish them anywhere.
Yeah, I would.
Quality cat. 8)
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

"The big one that got away" is always the story dude.

At least you got out!!

Thanks for reporting.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I have been thinking about last evening and I realize that I am definitely going to be hooked on spring catfishing. I have never fished for cats much and definitely not the big channel cats on the Ottawa river. Two reasons why this will now be a seasonal thing for me:

1) I was absolutely shocked at the strength of "the big one that got away". Yes, I had read about channel cats strength but I was always a bit skeptical. Definitely want a repeat of that.

2) NO MOSQUITOS!!! I have never been too fond of fishing at dusk/dark and this opportunity, however short it may be, to not be human bait is great.

I give it two thumbs up!

Rod
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

That's awesome to see that you got one. I was out on the Rideau trying for bull heads or cats but didn't have any luck. It was too good of a day to be inside though.

Nice work
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I am thinking that it might be a bit longer yet on the Ottawa for the full catfish season to start. After my early success I was sure my spot would pay off big. Scarkner and some of our kids gave it a try yesterday evening and I didn't make it to sunset... I was frozen (sorry about that Steve, I am getting weak in my old age). Thought I would test my theory that the shallow bays in the sun might have some bite if the fish warm up since they must be pretty hungry by now. Went out 1 to 2 and had a few taps but it is still pretty cold. I decided to reel in my line to check the worms. Reeled in and had a hit. Thought it was a pike... Never had one on a worm but i have read that it happens. Nope. Wasnt expecting this pretty fish! BTW had my net this time but i forgot to change the handle :shock:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.31 MiB) Viewed 5338 times
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Congrats on the Channel cat and Silver redhorse!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I thought I should mention that after I caught the sucker yesterday that I realized the big one I lost was probably a large sucker. I assumed that based on the "v" tail and the flat head ( from the top) that it was a channel cat as it dove under a rock. But something scarkner said made me realize it wasn't rolling and the body flash was a little too silver and a little too fast. I bent it in my brain to another catfish based on my previous fish. Oh well! Still want a big cat and at least the suckers are biting.