Lakes near Ottawa w/ trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
t09w
Participant
Participant

Lakes near Ottawa w/ trout

Post by t09w »

Hey guys

First off I'm new here and apologise if this is a repost in advance :)

Looking for lakes near Ottawa (within 1 - 1.5hrs) that have trout and are accessible to canoes. We have a few spots but parking is a little limited and we've added to our platoon of canoes that go out. We know a few on the Quebec side (d'argile, st sixte) but parking is limited and we'd prefer to go out as a big group. Any information would be helpful & thank you in advance!
toddc
Participant
Participant

Re: Lakes near Ottawa w/ trout

Post by toddc »

algonquin park
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Calabogie Hills as well. Using the Fish-Online tool from the MNR will tell you what's where.

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

RJ, this question may benefit from a sticky note.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

t09w wrote:Hey guys

First off I'm new here and apologise if this is a repost in advance :)

Looking for lakes near Ottawa (within 1 - 1.5hrs) that have trout and are accessible to canoes. We have a few spots but parking is a little limited and we've added to our platoon of canoes that go out. We know a few on the Quebec side (d'argile, st sixte) but parking is limited and we'd prefer to go out as a big group. Any information would be helpful & thank you in advance!
Firstly, welcome to fish hawk.

Well that really all depends on how many people, vehicles and canoes you're talking about. What type of trout? Are you looking for overnite camping or a day trip? Off the beaten path? Accessible by canoe? Not sure what you mean by that as many lakes around can be accessed depending how far you can drive in and if you're willing to portage your canoe far enough.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
t09w
Participant
Participant

Post by t09w »

hey thanks for all the replies. as far as accessibility is concerned i'd prefer somewhere we can park close to the lake and carry our canoes. talking about 2-4 canoes usually.

again thanks for the tips guys much appreciated

edit:type of trout isnt overly important :)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

t09w wrote:hey thanks for all the replies. as far as accessibility is concerned i'd prefer somewhere we can park close to the lake and carry our canoes. talking about 2-4 canoes usually.

again thanks for the tips guys much appreciated

edit:type of trout isnt overly important :)
Well if into trying for Lakers I see lots of canoes on Charleston. Laker fishing isn't that conducive to canoes but early season you can get by flat lining the shallows.
If you don't mind paying a fee I would suggest you check out North Frontenac Parklands. http://www.northfrontenacparklands.com/ There's a fair amount of trout lakes back there as well as many campsites that are only accessible by water.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter