31 mile lake report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Ducker2
Participant
Participant

31 mile lake report

Post by Ducker2 »

Finally got out on the north end of 31 mile lake for some lakers. We got out around 630 yesterday morning and it was quite chilly. The rod eyes were all freezing up with every retrieve but we managed 3 lakers 2 were keepers 1 throw back and 2 lost all by 9 am. Silly us we stayed all day thinking we could get our 2 fish limit but never happened and left around 8 pm last night. Lots of fun all fish were on tubes but not one elusive white fish. For some reason we can never find whitefish there. Funniest or stupid depends on how you look at it we were setup on a drop off to fish for the evening bite and sure as crap with 31 miles of freakin water a boat of 4 guys come screaming across the lake and drop anchor within casting distance of us then another boat shortly after does the same thing. All I'm thinking is theres 31 miles of water here and you have to anchor in this 200 yd stretch. Whats wrong? are we going to catch your fish? oh well I will be nice and just say another great adventure in the townships of quebec lol. Any way if anyone knows baits or whitefish hangouts on 31 would be greatly appreciated and don't worry if I happen to run into up there in a spot make sure you bring some extra rope so I can tie off on your gunwale! LMAO
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: 31 mile lake report

Post by Jul0682 »

LOL HAHA that's funny.. I got a 30 foot rope I'll be sure to bring it with me next time.. haha jk.. yeah unreal like u say how big this lake is and they all have to join in the fun where u are.. lol Glad to hear the water is open and that u caught some.. :) first ones of the season are always fun.. where u just jigging for them? My parents place is on Roddick lake and I do most of your fishing there but never tried the 31 mile lakes but always heard their was great fishing there..

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Good report

Was the lake all open?

Joco
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I know Roddick is open as my parents told me so I'm sure 31 is open as well.. water level is pretty high but must be open..
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Nice that you got a couple man. Good work
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I don't quite get why people sometimes think that "I was here first so I have the right to an entire area". You were anchored on a drop off which is presumably a known area? I am not at all surprised that some locals might go out for the evening bite and want to fish that same drop off. The fact that two boats did it is kind of less surprising than one boat doing it. Clearly it is a productive evening spot. Maybe that local was in his boat wondering who you were and why you were on his lake. :D
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Ducker2 wrote:Finally got out on the north end of 31 mile lake for some lakers. We got out around 630 yesterday morning and it was quite chilly. The rod eyes were all freezing up with every retrieve but we managed 3 lakers 2 were keepers 1 throw back and 2 lost all by 9 am. Silly us we stayed all day thinking we could get our 2 fish limit but never happened and left around 8 pm last night. Lots of fun all fish were on tubes but not one elusive white fish.For some reason we can never find whitefish there.Funniest or stupid depends on how you look at it we were setup on a drop off to fish for the evening bite and sure as crap with 31 miles of freakin water a boat of 4 guys come screaming across the lake and drop anchor within casting distance of us then another boat shortly after does the same thing. All I'm thinking is theres 31 miles of water here and you have to anchor in this 200 yd stretch. Whats wrong? are we going to catch your fish? oh well I will be nice and just say another great adventure in the townships of quebec lol. Any way if anyone knows baits or whitefish hangouts on 31 would be greatly appreciated and don't worry if I happen to run into up there in a spot make sure you bring some extra rope so I can tie off on your gunwale! LMAO
Ducker you got off easy lol. It was actually a good sign if locals were showing up. Opening week at least its not unusual for 2-4 boats to be parked 35 yd off my folks dock on Pemich. There's a spring there that has cisco and the odd laker early season. We get them off the dock on gorge hooks and dead bait for around 3 weeks.
A good friend of mine spends a lot of time on that end of 31 as he has a cottage in Baie Davis. Actually within a few years it will be a house and he will be retiring up there. He's up there this weekend working on his 1000 sq.ft. garage, and some jigging for Greys and Whitefish of course. He much prefers the early morning shift for that. Less traffic too. Anyway I told him about you being upset at those two boats coming out for the evening and he just started laughing and tells me it's not unusual for some of those shoals to have 10-20 boats on them come evening, specially on weekends. That's just the way it is, kinda like some of those Walleye shoals that load up with boats for the evening bite. So like I said, you did well with only two boats, plus it was a Monday so that helps.
As for the fishing, after many years of different trolling methods and some jigging, along with a quite effective shore fishing method used by locals like forever mixed in he knows the lake very well. For the last ten years at least the only method he fishes anymore is a jigging spoon fished vertically and clean. I don't know the specific cadence and rod specs offhand but I do know he works structure with the bow mount and makes bottom contact often. I'm pretty sure he doesn't use plastics or fish the column much. So many methods eh? That's what makes fishing... In regards to the Whities, he often catches them and Greys together, although he sometimes will slide up shallower to find them.

Some members here likely know or recall stories of the channel on Pemich during the opening weeks of the season. Back then tinny boats loaded with guys or families would line up along the bedrock shoreline and fish from shore. You carry your dead cisco or smelt out into the channel by boat, drop them in different spots and then back to shore to a lawn chair and a warm fire. Now that shore is million dollar properties accessible year round. I'll tell you what though, opening weekend that channel still has lots of boats fishing it, many of them anchored still and some likely still wearing those el cheapo white cotton gloves on those cold mornings. I kid you not, its true, I've never seen so many at one time lol. We always got a wtf chuckle out of it.

Now that I think about it, with the new bait regs in Quebec coming into effect this may have been the last year for that tradition, if it was even allowed this year. I'm not sure on that one. Does anyone here know the timeline?

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter