COs Are Out - Ottawa River

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

COs Are Out - Ottawa River

Post by scarkner »

COs are out checking licenses tonight on the Ottawa River shoreline, no doubt looking for people targeting OOS fish. They were very interested in what was on the end of my rod. "Chicken Livers" I exclaimed as I pulled my bait out of the water - the look of revulsion was fun to see... yup, no question what I was fishing for!

Sadly, didn't manage to catch any catfish tonight, but at least I got two hits.
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: COs Are Out - Ottawa River

Post by jjcanoe »

Yummy, I wish I saw them more often in my neck of the woods, talked to exactly 1 C.O. in nearly 40 years of fishing southern Ontario
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

It's good to see that they are out checking licenses.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Yup I like seeing them out... My only concern is leaving my wallet in the truck! People need to stop getting away with fishing out of season species
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Great to hear! They'd make a fortune if the patrolled Dow's Lake. I wonder if "No speaka English" works with CO's?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Lenny wrote:Great to hear! They'd make a fortune if the patrolled Dow's Lake. I wonder if "No speaka English" works with CO's?
We've had that debate on here before - I would argue that immigrants (assuming that is who you are referring to) are MORE likely to comply with every rule and have their licenses. I think in general people are a lot more aware of the rules and licenses than we want to believe (it's always more exciting to assume someone is a rule breaker). There is great fear of non-compliance, especially among people who don't speak the language well and are new to the country. The last thing anyone wants on their citizenship application is a red flag (or worse still, end up deported over a bucket of sunfish).

If you see someone violating the rules at Dow's Lake (regardless of their ability to speak english or not), report 'em! Otherwise, assume that they are following the rules and out enjoying the sunshine and fishing just like the rest of us.

MNR Hotline
1-877-847-7667
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

scarkner wrote:COs are out checking licenses tonight on the Ottawa River shoreline, no doubt looking for people targeting OOS fish. They were very interested in what was on the end of my rod. "Chicken Livers" I exclaimed as I pulled my bait out of the water - the look of revulsion was fun to see... yup, no question what I was fishing for!

Sadly, didn't manage to catch any catfish tonight, but at least I got two hits.
I wonder what they would have thought if you had had worms on the end?
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I was thinking that about worms as well but if you glob them on a big hook (thread the worms multiple times) should be fine I would think since that is a standard catfish bait or suckers as I found out.

Now if you were using a pickerel rig..... maybe not so good.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Peron wrote:I was thinking that about worms as well but if you glob them on a big hook (thread the worms multiple times) should be fine I would think since that is a standard catfish bait or suckers as I found out.

I've been using a worm on the bottom and my wife has been using worms on a bobber for perch
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Peron wrote:I was thinking that about worms as well but if you glob them on a big hook (thread the worms multiple times) should be fine I would think since that is a standard catfish bait or suckers as I found out.

I don't think they are going to care about worms either (I was actually using worms and chicken livers on a pickerel rig). I clearly didn't have any OOS fish in possession, I was in a shore fishing area known for Catfish, my rig was consistent with my targeted species.

Hook and bobber for perch? Fill 'yer boots!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

This makes me super happy to hear. Glad they're out there. My licence fee at work!
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Good to hear! I see their trucks all the time but never see them checking people :lol: :lol:
Cy
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Has anyone ever been nailed for fishing out of species fish when they were targeting something in season? I.e your technique didn't match up with what they thought you should be using.
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

Glad to hear this. Perfect timing!