Gates.... again

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BassFinatic
Participant
Participant

Gates.... again

Post by BassFinatic »

Hey hey

A number of trails on the East side of Morrow Lake Rd between LOTS 20-17 / CON 11 are gated or chained with VERY OLD MNR signs. LOT 19 / CON 11 has 3 that I counted.
This all appears to be on Crown Land (according to the Atlas) and the gates block (possible) access to Twinbear, Beaver and Lecalaire Lakes.

Are these roads/trails public or private?
Is the MNR actually blocking them for any reason or has someone just thrown up gates and chains?

I've been waiting on answers from the MNR for over a year with no response....

Any info would be helpful.
BassFinatic
Participant
Participant

Re: Gates.... again

Post by BassFinatic »

What do you know, I have some answers.
The trails to the East are on Crown Land, the MNR just doesn't want any motorized vehicles on the roads.
You can walk them on foot if you'd like to get to the lakes to have a look see.
Fee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fee »

Actually, the gate at the beginning of the road/trail (45.195099, -77.051101) that leads to Big Limestone had a somewhat confusing sign a few years back that stated no motor vehicles with the exception of quads and sleds. That trail did take me past the shore to Leclaire, but I abandoned the expedition to Big Limestone due to mileage and deep snow. (I was on sled breaking trail.) On the far side of Big Limestone is Centennial Nature Preserve. This area is signed stating no motor vehicles and does not have a caveat for bikes/sleds.

So, as far as I can tell, the gate and roadway beyond 45.195099, -77.051101 are fair game.

...jm
BassFinatic
Participant
Participant

Post by BassFinatic »

Interesting.
The contact who got back to me from the MNR said they didn't even want quads on the trails anymore and were planning larger gates with new signs.
I guess I'll just walk or cart my canoe in. :)