Fishing NY/Vt

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Fishing NY/Vt

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

Hi, just hoping some experienced fellows in this matter can help. What do I need at the border to go into NY or Vt with my boat. If anything.

Thanks
Olivier
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Fishing NY/Vt

Post by toobinator »

Other than your usual passport, your boat ownership should be fine. Last year, before we went to Champlain, I took a dated picture of my rods and reels (I have a lot lol) just in case they thought I bought a bunch when we were in the States. Didn't need it though.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

IMPORTANT: Vermont is "Lead Free"

From their fishing regulations:

"It is illegal to sell or offer for sale a lead sinker in
Vermont. “Sinker” means any device which weighs onehalf
ounce or less and is attached to a fishing line for the
purpose of sinking the line, and does not include other lead
fishing-related items such as weighted fly line, lead-core
fishing line, downrigger cannonballs, weighted flies, lures,
spoons, or jig heads.
Effective January 1, 2007 it will be illegal to use a
lead sinker, as defined above, for the taking of fish in
Vermont."

I am told they enforce this rigorously!!!!!
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

Make sure you have the registration for your boat, and ownership for your trailer. Last year we were asked for the registration,this year for the trailer ownership while headed for Florida. If you are fishing in New York between Nov 1 and May 1 it is mandatory to wear a life jacket while on the water.
We bought a Mako CC 201 a couple of years ago in Florida and brought it back. We were going to Henderson Harbour ,NY in July that year. The morning we left I was busy removing Florida registration and putting the Canadian registration on. I threw the registration on the rear floor of my truck and forgot about it. I had all the receipts and customs papers from importing the boat and the American Border security guy pretty much had a coronary when I couldn't find the registration documents. I think someone would have died had I forgot to change the bow numbers. I thought we were going home until I produced the bill of sale. We lucked out and now I keep all my documentation in a holder on the back of my seat in my truck. Have a good trip. Happy fishing.
Mitch
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

Thanks!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Went this week. Passport is all we produced. Had boat registration/trailer ownership just in case.

RJ
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Post by BC FD »

Not sure why we get asked every time we go into the US now. I never got asked for paperwork with the boat I used to take to Henderson Harbour.
Might be because we bought the boat in Florida but I just keep all the paperwork handy now to avoid problems.
Mitch