Cats in April!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cats in April!!

Post by CyrusG »

Did not expect to catch so many cats today, wow. Great start to the season and april isn't even over!!! No bigguns today but this won't be the last time I'll be targeting them this year :lol:

Cy
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Cats in April!!

Post by scarkner »

Totally unfair!

Three of us FH'ers were out yesterday on the Ottawa River from around 6 until 9:30pm... didn't even get a bite!

Congrats!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Very Nice Cy!!

What time of day were you catching these?

Thanks,

Rod
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

Went out again today and caught a couple of 2-4 pounders, the past 2 days the bite turned on around 4. Today I didn't get a hit for the first 2 hours but a school came out of no where and I landed 3 in a row before it slowed down again. Good luck out there, it'll only get better.
Cy
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

MEOW!!!!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Things should get going good this week. May sneak out for an evening bite!

RJ
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

April is over. Let's see some "cats in May" now. :-)
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CyrusG »

fatluke wrote:April is over. Let's see some "cats in May" now. :-)
Got out last night and landed over 30 in no time before i called it off. Couldn't keep my worm on the bottom for a few seconds sometimes before a cat picked it up!

Switched over to sucker chunks near the end and had to wait longer for bites but every cat caught on them was decent!
Cy
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Sweet!!!!
I don't undertake why the average size isn't bigger in the Ottaw .
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

fatluke wrote:Sweet!!!!
My theorty is there is too many of them, but the cats in the Petawawa in Algonquin Park are the biggest I've ever caught or seen. I'd love to see a shift of more people eating catfish and a strict slot for walleye year round. In a recent MNR report it said they are considering a commercial fishery for them on the Ottawa.
asif.rehman37
Participant
Participant

Post by asif.rehman37 »

My son is going crazy reading about the cats in this forum. Planning to take him out in the next couple of days. Heard the 2 stone breakwaters at Britannia beach are pretty good for cats. Any other suggestions. Thanks!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

fatluke wrote:Sweet!!!!
Catfish start off being somewhat of a scavenger, it's not until they hit around 5-8 lbs when they become piscavores. If you want to catch lots of catfish (or catfish primarily for eating) use worms and you will land lots. If you are looking for BIG catfish, then use minnows. There are lots of big ones in the Ottawa river but just need slightly different methods to hit them.

I got out tonight. A last minute thing just rode my bicycle down to the shoreline. They started hitting at 8:30pm, and I fished for around an hour. Probably landed a dozen fish. Took home a few of the smaller eater sized ones, plus a nice big one that swallowed the hook.

Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Yup. The catfish bonanza is definitely on. I went out for a very short stint tonight (the rain started and drove me out) and as soon as the sun hit the horizon I barely had time to put my rod in the holder. They were all good sized as well +/- 20 inch range. I didn't count but probably about a dozen. I also caught a jumbo perch and a small bluegill... Really was not expecting those. I was amazed that this 5 to 6 inch bluegill could survive with all those cats swimming around.

Happy evening activity :D although my older eyes are not happy resetting gear in the dark, even with a good headlamp... :?

Rod