Any 10+ lb fish spots in Ottawa?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tristanm15
Participant
Participant

Any 10+ lb fish spots in Ottawa?

Post by Tristanm15 »

First off, I am very new to this website and I'm not sure if anyone else posted this.

Anyways, I was wondering if someone knew where I could find big fish around Ottawa ( Preferably east or downtown ). The biggest fish I caught was about 9 pounds , so I would like to beat that record.. I would preferably fish on land and I could get any bait/lure.
What could I get? / where? :?: :D
Tristan
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Any 10+ lb fish spots in Ottawa?

Post by jjcanoe »

Search for some carp spots, most slow moving water will have them, that's your best chance for a shore based 10 lb + fish. Might be some guys that are a bit more local to the area than me that can point you in the right direction
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Some big fish in the Ottawa river when the season opens for pike and musky! But at the moment catfish! there are some big ones lurking in there! When they fill the canal and dows lake you can fish for carp from shore and landing a 10lb plus is a good possibility!
Tristanm15
Participant
Participant

Post by Tristanm15 »

Thanks for the help :D I can easily walk to the canal in 5 minutes. I've been once, but nothing was biting. Is there any specific bait I should use?
Tristan
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

For some very relaxing fishing, bring a chair along Dows lake in the shallower areas on a sunny day! You can easily beat the 10lb mark with almost any of the big Carp that lurk in there. Canned corn threaded onto a number 2 hook with a fluoro lead and light weight. You can throw handfuls of corn into the area where you are fishing to draw them in. Light tension on the line, sit back and relax.

Carps have soft mouths so do not be overzealous with the hook set. They can spit the hook out quickly so use a SHARP hook so that they set it partially themselves with the rod tension.

Rod
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Probably one of the hardest fighting fish you will find is Gar Pike. They bite especially hard late at night (10pm until around 2am). Look for shallow oxygen starved water.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

The Ottawa holds a variety of species that will exceed 10lbs. First you need to decide on what species you wish to target and then key in on suitable areas for that species.
You can always go with lady luck and fire out a ball of worms. You could land any and all species on a very simple hook and worm.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

My $0.02: your best best at 10+ fish would be Musky or Carp; Pike would be next likley. I would not hold my breath for a 10+ channel catfish they are far and few between on the Ottawa River. Gar is an option as well as mentioned above...