Fishing Report: Catfish and a Question.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jo3yjo3y11
Participant
Participant

Fishing Report: Catfish and a Question.

Post by Jo3yjo3y11 »

Hey guys went down to the creek for some cats today, and bagged one and caught an OOS Walleye, which I immediately threw back after snapping a quick pick here are the pictures.[attachment=1]IMG_2905[1].JPG[/attachment][attachment=0]IMG_2906[1].JPG[/attachment] Anyways my question is and I think I know the answer is does Sunscreen and bug spray put off cats. Because the first worm I rigged up I caught one within two minutes, but after that after I had applied it nada! I fished for two hours like this and caught the OOS walleye about an hour in. Anyways I was wondering if theres a way to avoid the sunscreen and bug spray issue without not applying it. If it can't be avoided looks like I'm getting a tan. Worth it if I catch more fish!
Attachments
IMG_2905[1].JPG
IMG_2905[1].JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2322 times
IMG_2906[1].JPG
IMG_2906[1].JPG (678.21 KiB) Viewed 2322 times
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fishing Report: Catfish and a Question.

Post by fatluke »

I don't think sunscreen or bug spray would help the bite any.

I use spray on sunscreen to try and minimize contact with my hands.

Spray on sunscreen is also great on those extremely hot days when you shed your shirt and go topless. It's helps avoid the "brokeback angler" type of scene when you ask your buddy to run sunscreen on your back. :-)
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Jo3yjo3y11
Participant
Participant

Post by Jo3yjo3y11 »

Hey Luke,

I did use the spray on sunscreen. I'm going to go try my luck today I think I will just wear a long sleeve and a hat without any sunscreen or insect spray and see if it makes a difference. I found an article in a fishing book stating that catfish can pick up on those smells and it will put them off. Was that the sequel to brokeback mountain? I wonder if Jake gyllenhall was in that one too? :mrgreen:
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Think you know the secret now! Fish at night and you don't need sunscreen and you catch a ton of fish! :lol:

Good meeting you !

Rod
Jo3yjo3y11
Participant
Participant

Post by Jo3yjo3y11 »

Don't forget creeping pics on fish-hawk! Good to meet you to Peron!

That was a lot of fun will pm you the pic I took of the "double header"!

- Joe
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

I can see this being true
Last year was out with a buddy. I cought 10 or so he cought 1.
He was useing 100 the same gear etc. The only difference is that he's a ginger and had to apply sunscreen afew times throughout the day.

P.s just a friendly reminder that photographing oos fish is a no no.... If mnr was to come across u with photos of oos they can fine you. And will fine u
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
Jo3yjo3y11
Participant
Participant

Post by Jo3yjo3y11 »

Thanks for the heads up about the OOS won't happen again. Just didn't know that was a rule but it makes sense.

And yeah I didn't use any sunscreen the other night and caught six so their must be a difference when they're not used.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I hate sunscreen so I've gone to covering up instead of applying that stuff every hour. Not sure it effects the fishing that I've seen.

RJ