Catfishing in the ottawa river

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Alex71
Participant
Participant

Catfishing in the ottawa river

Post by Alex71 »

Hey

I've lived in ottawa a my whole life but ive never had much/any luck with the ottawa river... Went out a few times this spring to shirley's bay and britania yacht club to fish from shore and stayed out the evenings to try to catch catfish but nothing. Now im wondering if i am in the wrong spot for the time of year or if there are any specific places i should be casting.

Thanks in advance for the help! I plan on going out to try a new spot tonight
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Catfishing in the ottawa river

Post by avidangler »

You should have no problem catching channel cats at either location. This time of year the water is cold and the bite is usually slow. Look for warmer shallower water would be a good start. I fished cats Saturday night in between Shirelys Bay and Britania from 830 pm to 10:30 pm. We managed to land 10 fish and missed about half as many.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

What are you trying?
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Here's a few spots that I 've fished on numerous occasions with success. Try the Woodroffe look out parking area of the Parkway heading to Lincoln Heights and just along the bicycle path behind the Public works steam plant opposite Victoria Island. Blob of worms will do the trick. THERE USE TO BE A CATFISH DERBY OUT OF ARNPRIOR years ago and that stretch of the Ottawa is very productive for channel cats

Good luck and tight lines
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

The catfish bite turns on like a light switch when the water warms. Last week most of us were catching almost nothing, now they are biting hard everywhere. They will continue biting hard for the next 6 to 8 weeks, and you can get smaller ones into the fall.
Alex71
Participant
Participant

Post by Alex71 »

Got a couple 2 pounders last night at shirley's bay with dip bait. I guess i gotta keep trying new spots till i find the honey hole