Overnight fishing advice?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Overnight fishing advice?

Post by frogin1998 »

Always fished during daytime. Bout to try for the first time fishing late night. Not targeting any specific species, anything that bites is greatly appreciated :D . Any advice or suggestions? (Bobber fishing or bottom sinking? Calm water or current is better at this time of the year?) Thinking of trying out our luck in some bays. :roll:
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Overnight fishing advice?

Post by jjcanoe »

If you're float fishing you'll need a light on the top of your float ( bite light I think they're called), bottom fishing needs a clip on bell or bite alarm or your drag set very loose and the clicker engaged or at the very least have your finger on the line at all times, casting is a bit easier since you should know when you get a hit. Colours don't matter so much but glow in the dark rules! Failing that anything with a rattle or vibration will work well, scent is also important, tip whatever you use with a worm or minnow, gulp alive on a jig works as well. Spray on scents will work well on a crank bait or hard lure

Good luck
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Where are you? Might be able to give better pointers if I knew where abouts in the province you are or better still what body of water you plan to fish...
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Thanks for the awesome advice guys :D . For sure got the bells all ready to go. Thinking of trying out some worms or minnows. Planning to fish along the bays of ottawa river. (Haven't really made up our minds yet which bay to fish) But definitely looking for a bay that has good parking.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I fish at night a lot (once a week at least). I have caught, walleye, bass, pike, crappie, redhorse, gar, catfish, ling, sturgeon. carp, bullhead, sauger.

My suggestions:
- I tend to still fish or fish with a bobber. I have had luck with worms, minnows, cut bait as appropriate.
- Get a headlamp. You can get a good one at CT for about $30; Look for LED lights with high lumens.
- Get a good flashlight (always have a backup light source; I have had both fail on me and that is a bummer).
- I like thill splash bright bobbers. They light when they hit the water. Better than the battery ones, The battery always goes on the others and not worth the $$. Bring an extra one; I have had a beaver cut my line and I watched my bobber float away.
- As indicated. Bells are great.
- Bring a camera with a charged battery.
- Organize your gear. Going through gear at night is a pain. Keep it simple.
- I bring 2 rods because it takes a long time to re-tackle in the dark; Might as well have a worm in the water while you work.
- My rod is pre-rigged and ready to go when I leave the house.
- I like to wear sturdy boots because walking on rocky areas can be treacherous.
- Bring a net, struggling with a fish in the dark can loose you the fish or cause you a tumble.
- At each spot have a fish landing plan in place; Some place that is safe to plant your self while fighting a fish. Keep your net here.
- Keep a low profile; Some questionable characters are out.
- Watchout for animals; I have had encounters with Raccoons, Skunks, Beavers, Otters and Geese. (I really hate beavers).

Mileage may vary....
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Dick bell park is one of my favorite late night spots because it is really well lit. They have replaced the light house at the end of the point so you can put your gear there and see everything.

It can get crowded.

I don't usually fish it this early. I can't think of anything i HAVEN'T caught there as you have several casting options from smooth shallow water in the marina to the main channel.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

zippyfx wrote:I fish at night a lot (once a week at least). I have caught, walleye, bass, pike, crappie, redhorse, gar, catfish, ling, sturgeon. carp, bullhead, sauger.

My suggestions:
- I tend to still fish or fish with a bobber. I have had luck with worms, minnows, cut bait as appropriate.
- Get a headlamp. You can get a good one at CT for about $30; Look for LED lights with high lumens.
- Get a good flashlight (always have a backup light source; I have had both fail on me and that is a bummer).
- I like thill splash bright bobbers. They light when they hit the water. Better than the battery ones, The battery always goes on the others and not worth the $$. Bring an extra one; I have had a beaver cut my line and I watched my bobber float away.
- As indicated. Bells are great.
- Bring a camera with a charged battery.
- Organize your gear. Going through gear at night is a pain. Keep it simple.
- I bring 2 rods because it takes a long time to re-tackle in the dark; Might as well have a worm in the water while you work.
- I like to wear sturdy boots because walking on rocky areas can be treacherous.
- Bring a net, struggling with a fish in the dark can loose you the fish or cause you a tumble.
- At each spot have a fish landing plan in place; Some place that is safe to plant your self while fighting a fish. Keep your net here.
- Keep a low profile; Some questionable characters are out.
- Watchout for animals; I have had encounters with Raccoons, Skunks, Beavers, Otters and Geese. (I really hate beavers).

Mileage may vary....
All excellent ideas Zippyfx and two I am going to add immediately that I do not presently do are:

I was just griping last night about my failing nocturnal vision even with a good headlamp. My depth perception is not as good as it once was so any fine work is a major pain..

Rod
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I can relate to the bad eyes. Threading the little bobber stop bead on my slip float brings me to tears. :cry:
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Wait a few weeks and once walleye season opens, hit the banks of the Ottawa for some crazy night eye action. A good place to start is behind parliament hill along the bike path. Fish from in front of Victoria island all the way up to the locks. You can also fish from on Victoria island itself.

I only fish at night for walleye. I don't even bother during the day... I've had countless nights of 20 walleyes or more from shore. You tend to catch much bigger fish at night as well. You miss more too because a lot can go wrong when you're fighting a huge fish from shore... Fish during a full moon on a clear night and the action will be fast and furious.

All you need is a head lamp and you're good to go. I use jigs from as light as 1/8oz up to 3/8oz depending on depth and current. The jigs will be tipped with soft plastic 3-4 inch minnow swim baits. I also use 4 inch grubs/twister tails. I also use an assortment of 4-6 inch crank baits.

Generally I have much more success in the fall at night but the first month of the season in the spring is usually great from shore as well.

Don't forget to bring a camera and make a nice little report for us once you catch a nice one from shore!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Gopro is charged up :twisted: . Fingers crossed not going to get skunked first time night fishing.