Is it the rod, or coincidence???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Is it the rod, or coincidence???

Post by Kerrazy »

So today I had a great time despite the cold wind out in the water.

I noticed something odd today. While retrieve had to be very slow, I did not have bites per say, I had hits that stuck.

I say odd, as I was using a jig head with a white curly tail grub maybe 3 1/2"s. So an easy bait to bite, and reject.

Not today, every hit stuck.

So was it the rod allowed for load up, was it the slow retrieve, or was I just delayed enough in my hook set that they had time to inhale the bait just a little further.

I was using a short G Loomis mossy back, as It was the only Bait caster I had on board and it was a 6:41 retrieval speed

Ok Gurus, let's hear your thoughts on why no missed strikes but actual hook sets.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Is it the rod, or coincidence???

Post by Cyber »

Kerrazy wrote:So today I had a great time despite the cold wind out in the water.

I noticed something odd today. While retrieve had to be very slow, I did not have bites per say, I had hits that stuck.

I say odd, as I was using a jig head with a white curly tail grub maybe 3 1/2"s. So an easy bait to bite, and reject.

Not today, every hit stuck.

So was it the rod allowed for load up, was it the slow retrieve, or was I just delayed enough in my hook set that they had time to inhale the bait just a little further.

I was using a short G Loomis mossy back, as It was the only Bait caster I had on board and it was a 6:41 retrieval speed

Ok Gurus, let's hear your thoughts on why no missed strikes but actual hook sets.
Reason #1: Thank Gary for the AWESOME rod design!! :D

Reason #2: See reason #1. :shock: 8) 8)
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I believe it was a couple of factors in your case but mostly the rod.

Contrary to what the people who do not agree with you spending a lot more for a Loomis than an ugly stick will have you believe, there is a difference in a rods sensitivity.

You were able to feel the subtle bite because the rod was transferring the feedback it was given to you. I find with less expensive gear, you don't always feel the initial hit and when you do, it is sometimes too late.

You may have also just picked up on what a slight hit feels like as well though. But I would say it was the rod :D
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I was kinda thinking it was the rod too!

It just had the right back bone to hold the hook set.

I must say, that is a great testimony For investing money into quality gear.

5 hits yesterday and all 5 needed to be released.

Now to get the numbers up!

Man I love this sport!!!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

Could be the rod but my guess would be the jig you were tossing. There's a lot of hungry fish out there this time of year and grubs are a good choice