Walleye & Pike Opener - Quality, but not quantity!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Walleye & Pike Opener - Quality, but not quantity!

Post by Lenny »

Great fish! Nice looking walleye. Props for following the slot regulations! Nice to see.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Stellar report there, I'll take quality over quantity any day!

Would love to see more on your trolling motor mount.

Thanks for sharing!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great looking walleye dude, a nice outing for ya! My buddy has a similar setup to you for the trolling motor in a canoe. I'm going to fish in it later this week actually. It scares the heck out of me as my buddy flies by the seat of his pants so his setup is definitely not as secure as yours. I was out once with him last year and at one point, we almost lost the motor... :shock:
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

67ZL1 wrote:Lindying would be good for rigging alongside weedbeds. If you're set on fishing the weeds, perhaps a slip bobber set up with a leech would be a better option for you. Leeches are like candy to walleye.
Thank you for the tips! Now I just gotta get myself some leeches... I wonder if I could just wade in the river and they'll attach to me? (just kidding!)
Lenny wrote:Great fish! Nice looking walleye. Props for following the slot regulations! Nice to see.
Of course! I'd be a shame to ruin the great fishing we have here in Ottawa! Though, I hope next time, I'll be able to catch some tasty walleye that are within the slot limit :D
Tip-up wrote: Would love to see more on your trolling motor mount.
Walleye'm Fishing wrote:Great looking walleye dude, a nice outing for ya! My buddy has a similar setup to you for the trolling motor in a canoe. I'm going to fish in it later this week actually. It scares the heck out of me as my buddy flies by the seat of his pants so his setup is definitely not as secure as yours. I was out once with him last year and at one point, we almost lost the motor... :shock:
I've totally almost lost my motor too - my first prototype came apart after 1 hour of use while crappie fishing last spring. Finally made a solid mount 2 months later. It was a culmination of many broken and flimsy prototypes. I will definitely be posting more of my motorized canoe this season :D
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Couple nice ones for opener. Well done.
:D
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Hey guys we were talking to you Saturday morning from the big, old orange Coleman 17! We never did get a pike, but did get a couple of very nice walleye, about the same size as yours. Caught and released. They seemed scattered though, get one, move on...
And yeah, it was a REALLY good idea to get out early. We got off the water just after lunch, before the wind starting getting too interesting.
Course, I was back on the Rideau Sunday morning in my kayak with a bunch of guys from the local kayak anglers' club ... and lemme tell ya she was a bit frosty, and a bit gusty, for that little jaunt!
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

donw wrote:Hey guys we were talking to you Saturday morning from the big, old orange Coleman 17! We never did get a pike, but did get a couple of very nice walleye, about the same size as yours. Caught and released. They seemed scattered though, get one, move on...
And yeah, it was a REALLY good idea to get out early. We got off the water just after lunch, before the wind starting getting too interesting.
Course, I was back on the Rideau Sunday morning in my kayak with a bunch of guys from the local kayak anglers' club ... and lemme tell ya she was a bit frosty, and a bit gusty, for that little jaunt!
Oh that's right! It's nice to be able to see a fellow fish-hawker and match it to a face on the water! Nice to hear that you got some nice walleye! As for Sunday...I was going to get out with KAOO, but decided against it due to the weather. Sounded like a blast though!
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Nice one! Saw you that day going towards the 416 bridge. The pike where on fire!! Sadly no walleye but a few OSS muskies...