Opinions on boats wanted..

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Tubey
Participant
Participant

Opinions on boats wanted..

Post by Tubey »

Hi Hawkers,

I am looking to buy a new bass boat and i need some opinions (preferably qualified :-) on brands.

Ive always wanted a Ranger and intend on getting one some day. Just not sure if now is that day. I'm looking for a used boat in the 30k range.

Ive seen a lot of Tritons for sale. And Nitros. Anything or brand i should consider?

I have a Stratos. Ive enjoyed it and am not averse to getting another..

Any insight into the bass boat game would be appreciated.

Thx,
Tubey
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Opinions on boats wanted..

Post by beachburger »

$30K is a good chunk of change.....

Size of boat?
Size and brand of engine? 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
What's the earliest model year you want to go?
Are you comfortable spending the whole $30K or do you really want to spend less than that?
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

I have no first hand experience with Ranger ( I'm a Lund guy ), many of my tournament friends run 620 and 621 Rangers. I never hear anyone complaint about their boats or the Ranger name. Several of those guys have told me that you won't lose money by buying a used Ranger.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I have had 4 bass boats in the last 23 years, so here goes with what I've learned.

1991 1/2' Legend 16 1/2/90 Merc bought new in 1992. Last year they made fiberglass. Good boat to learn on but quality wasn't there.

1993 Astro 18 1/2/150 Optimax Bought used in 1997. Really good boat for it's size, tons of storage. This boat is still going.The only drawback that I could see was that it didn't like rough water. They are no longer made but would be a good boat if you find one in good shape

2001 (I think) Nitro 20 1/2'/225 Optimax bought used in 2002. The Nitro was a really good fishing platform with lots of storage. Where it fell short was in the fit and finish. They really dropped the ball on how the boat was put together. The hull was rock solid but beyond that there were some serious flaws. Before some happy Nitro owners get their feathers ruffled this is only what I found in my opinion.

2012 Ranger 521 250 E-Tech By far the best boat I have owned. Rock solid hull. Fit and finish 100%. Dealer support was there too. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Other brands I have looked at and would definitely consider.

Skeeter. Always liked Skeeter. We looked at them at the classic expo (always looking) The colour package they had on display was the same as our store colours and looked great. Didn't like the look of the seats though (you can be picky when you're only looking) but I didn't actually sit in them.

Phoenix. Considered them when I bought the Ranger. Buying one wouldn't have been a wrong choice in my opinion. Fit and finish is outstanding. I've heard they are fast and a really good rough water boat. I get along with the dealer exceptionally well too. Your problem with Phoenix might be finding one in your price range. I don't think there's a lot of used ones around.

Again, these are only my opinions.

Ed
Last edited by toobinator on Thu May 26, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Tubey
Participant
Participant

Post by Tubey »

Thanks all.
I am comfortable to 30000 and maybe beyond if it makes sense.
I'm really leaning Ranger.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Triton boats?
reid
Participant
Participant

Post by reid »

Ranger is a great bass boat. It has the highest resale value. I am surprised that you are looking at a bass boat. What lakes do you fish? The better boat for Eastern Ontario is a v-bottom. This would lead me down the Lund, ALumacraft, or Princecraft road. Bass boat are much better on shallow water. It is your choice and maybe the bass boat design works for you. I have fish a lot of lakes in Eastern Ontario and find my Lund and Alumacraft to fit the lakes the best.

You asked for an opinion, this is just mine.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

reid wrote:A better boat for Eastern Ontario is a v-bottom. This would lead me down the Lund, ALumacraft, or Princecraft road. Bass boat are much better on shallow water.
The shallow water thing is the biggest misconception about a Lund or any aluminum. I've taken both my ProV and the ProV GL (that is a huge boat) into water that any bass boat can get into with no issues.

Lots to consider when it comes to buying a boat.

Are you planning to take your wife/girlfriend out? Consider their needs. Ripping across the lake in a Bass boat ranks very low on most peoples wish list.

Do you ever plan to branch out and do some trolling?

RJ
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Triton make nice boats, they have a nice on board ladder.
If you want to know anything about Phoenix boats let me know!

RJ Does have a point and if a Bassboat still suits your needs go ride in a few and find one you like.

That's a nice budget!!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Crunchy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Crunchy »

Tubey: check your private messages....
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

When the time comes, have you considered a trade in for the the Stratos?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I've fished out of a lot of boats and I only own a small jon boat for trapping and hunting now. If I was to get back into the boat ownership game and fish seriously again, then without a doubt I'd get a big Lund liller set up and put a casting deck in it. Simplisity and low maitenence would be the way i'd go.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Markus wrote:I've fished out of a lot of boats and I only own a small jon boat for trapping and hunting now. If I was to get back into the boat ownership game and fish seriously again, then without a doubt I'd get a big Lund liller set up and put a casting deck in it. Simplisity and low maitenence would be the way i'd go.

This. I have a glass Triton now and find I'm always having to be careful with it, babying it and waxing it all the time. My next boat will most definitely be a big tiller.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
PMac
Participant
Participant

Post by PMac »

Hmmmmn, Brad in a Tiller, I wonder where he will get that :)
Tubey
Participant
Participant

Post by Tubey »

Thanks everybody. Much appreciated.

I used to guide out of Lunds up north, so im a big fan.
But i love bass fishing and bass boat is the only way for me to go..
reid
Participant
Participant

Post by reid »

BradGuenette wrote:
Markus wrote:I've fished out of a lot of boats and I only own a small jon boat for trapping and hunting now. If I was to get back into the boat ownership game and fish seriously again, then without a doubt I'd get a big Lund liller set up and put a casting deck in it. Simplisity and low maitenence would be the way i'd go.

This. I have a glass Triton now and find I'm always having to be careful with it, babying it and waxing it all the time. My next boat will most definitely be a big tiller.

I tried the big tiller and switched back to side console. I like to sit in the middle of the boat. You can communicate better when you are farther away from the motor. I like to be able to see the water from the side. The boat planes better. I have both and prefer the side console.