May two four weekend report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

May two four weekend report

Post by otownyaker »

May was crazy for me only being home 4 days from may 1St to the 19Th aswell as being away for most of April. Causing a slow start to my kayak season. I had big hopes for may 24 weekend. Finally getting some seat time in the yak.

I flew in from Alberta on Thursday morning @ 1am. Took a nap then started packing for our annual may two four weekend camping trip
ImageGot loaded up with ice yaks food beer and some food buddys and headed off to upper Park lake. The lake is not know for a great fishing time but there are fish there and I Jane seen some very nice pike walleye and bass pulled out of it. The beauty of the place is 0 to none and seeing it is kinda hard to get to not much traffic to deal with. Seen 5 tinnies all weekend.Image. I spent most of the day searching for pike, as I have never in 10 years been able to figure out how to get the eyes here to bite. I landed one tiny pike early on. After that no matter what I tryed throwing ( large spinners 6" 8" lures 4" jigs Worms) I could not keep the largies off the line. Even cought a 6" large mouth on a 8" lure..... If only it was a few weeks later in the season. But all where quickly released with no harm.

Trying to get away from the bass I gave up hopes of pike and decided the sunfish would have to do. And seeing I'm a kayak Fisher I can get where the big boats can't. So I hit the majestic back waters of the lake in search for pan fish.
Image.
You can't even see the path that was needed to be taken to get to the back water swamp. But it is straight ahead in the pic. Over logs and around stumps in no more the 12" of water. Hiding back there where tones on tiny Panfish. Cought more then I could count sadly none over 8" for kayak wars, but still tones of fun.

The camping was great perfect weather, but with less then ideal fishing i decided to call the camping a day early and head home Sunday to plan some back woods fishing for pike closed to town.

Monday loaded up and hooked up the quad with the yak to save me from having to portage the kayak for 3km.
Was amazed when I got to the lake to find it already loaded with weeds and grasses. I droped the yak in, rigged up the rod with a large yellow spinner tossed it out for my first cast. I spun the handle ones and the rod bent.Image my first decent sized fish of the season on my first cast. LOVE IT.
But then I ran into the same problem that plagued me on Sat. Pesky out of season largies. So again I switched gear trying lures big and small spoons Worms etc almost every thing I'm my tackle box. No matter what or where I through a nice sized largie would end up on the end of the line. With only 30 min left before I had to head back in i switched to hook and worm in the hunt for Panfish. got a few and another one for kayak warsImage.

All and all in was an amazing weekend. Only thing that could have made it better was to have bass be open......
Ill be back for them bass in a few weeks.
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: May two four weekend report

Post by CBB »

Nice report and looks like you had a great weekend
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant