My Crappie Long Weekend With Gar-J.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

My Crappie Long Weekend With Gar-J.

Post by Markus »

My annual spring highlight is always the long weekend visiit with RJ and Birdee. I missed it last year because RJ and I went to great slave lake instead, so this was the first time I got to enjoy fishing out of Rob's Lund. That in itself was a treat and I felt spoiled every time we dumped it into the water and climbed in for a day of fishing.

Our first mission was gar. Fatluke and our buddy Glen joined us for the morning. Conditions were mint for sight fishing and we headed out.

I've fished gar for a decade now, but this was the first time we had a fly fisherman in the boat....and RJ had his new fly rod with him as well. We had an absolutey stellar day with hookups. We were shaking high 40IN fish off at the boat and only brought out the net for the big girls. The fly rods swapped fish for fish with the spinning/baitcaster gear. RJ spooled up his new fly rod and it was made clear quickly that he was a natural....2nd cast he had a 50IN gar on. It was knocked off by the netter and before he could rant about that...he made 3 more casts and had another 50IN fish hooked up! lol 2 50IN fish in his first 5 casts.....I could only shake my head.

When it was my turn to being back-boated, I chose to cast to the deeper dark water and fish for randoms.

Another highlght of the morning was watching Glen land a hug sturgeon on the fly rod. Something I'll never forget. A little luck with a lot of skill. Quick pic and sent on it's way.

Next on the agenda was a local lake launch for a crappie fish with Birdee. It took a few moves to find them, but we finally located them and went to work. I love the spring crappie fishing. Lots of trash talk in the boat too. lol

Next we hooked up with our good buddy Phil and headed to Lake Ontario for lakers. We arrived to calm conitions and after we made the run out, we were soon over taken by a fly hatch. I've never seen anything like it.

We couldnt fish in it. The flies were in your mouth, up your nose and crawling into everything. We retreated back closer to shore where we found some relief from them and set up. No big fish landed....lots of small 2-5lb lakers.

RJ left the last outing up to Birdee and I to choose and it wasnt a tough call....we headed to new water and went looking for more crappie.

Everytime i'm in SE Ontario I get to fish a new lake. There seems like an endless choice of lakes. I really love that about the area. Heading home to NS, I was more then pleased to have my limit of crappie to bring home for a summer fish fry.

Rob and Kim are the best of people and its a friendship I place a lot of stock in. I've met a lot of people all over canada and they dont come any better. I cant wait until next spring when we can do it all again and explore some new water. SE Ontario is a gem...the locals there should never forget how special they have it.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: My Crappie Long Weekend With Gar-J.

Post by BradGuenette »

Great fishin' folks, sure helps that the weather setup perfectly for the long weekend!
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

Sweet! Funny, I was actually thinking about giving the gar a go on my fly rod. Care to share any info on patterns? I was thinking stereotypical minnow patterns and/or stuff with lots of flash and movement.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Absolutely freakin' outstanding, folks!!!.............'NUFF SAID!! :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

Awesome report, thanks for sharing.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

I love reading the mixed bag reports. Those bugs are just ridiculous
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on some great fish and to do it all with friends is what it is all about. Great write up and pics
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

It was great seeing you again Mark. It's been a while. Same to you RJ.

I will also be putting a report up on our day when I get a chance.

That sturgeon was just wild, and the walleye was a nice bonus also.

Glad the weekend continued to be successful for you, but I guess that is expected when you have RJ as a guide. Too bad the bugs put a damper on the laker fishin. I know you were looking forward to it.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

fatluke wrote:
Glad the weekend continued to be successful for you, but I guess that is expected when you have RJ as a guide.
Too be honest....boat numbers went way up once Birdee was in the boat.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Markus wrote:
fatluke wrote:
Glad the weekend continued to be successful for you, but I guess that is expected when you have RJ as a guide.
Too be honest....boat numbers went way up once Birdee was in the boat.
My lord... :lol:

Great to have ya in town as always brotha. That Gar day will be one to remember for awhile.

RJ
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

The boys are back in town!! Good friends, good fishing!!
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

Nice looking fishes guys :) those gars are huge :)

Congrats
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun. Nice work. :D