Ticks

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ticks

Post by Lenny »

Hi all,

Just wanted to warn everyone who isn't aware that the ticks are horrible this year. I've gotten one and my dog has gotten two. My friend's dog in Bells Corners was diagnosed with Lyme disease last week. I also have a friend who got 4 on the weekend. There were 7 cases reported in Humans in 2010 and 70 reported last year, so it's become a much bigger problem. I figured I'd post it as us outdoorsman are definitely one of the most susceptible groups. From what I've heard Murphy's Point Provincial Park is the worst area for them. Anyone else here had any ticks this year?

http://www.cdc.gov/features/lymedisease/

Cheers,

Lenny
Last edited by Lenny on Tue May 24, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ticks

Post by NMG »

Thanks for the reminder Lenny. I haven't picked up any that I've noticed, but I do run in the greenbelt around Kanata/Bells Corner quite a bit so it's good to have the reminder and to check for them afterwards.
burns
Participant
Participant

Post by burns »

I pulled a deer tick off me last fall near Smithsfalls not too far from mp. The farm I was at is just full of them now, to the point that if you walk in anywhere away from the house they'll be crawling on ya. I used a tick key from lee valley, work amazing and is only 10 bucks. I'm hearing of more people getting them in the city now. My father lives in Orleans and is constantly pulling them off his dog. In the end they are just something we will have to get used to .
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

Saw an article on tick removal, soak the tick and a cotton ball with dish soap. Hold it on the tick and it will let go and become entangled in the cotton and you just lift it off.
Works on pets or if they are in your hair as you wont accidently pull any hair out.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Here's a great product to protect you and your dog from ticks. Permethrin spray. The bottle I recently bought didn't have the instructions for dogs like the same product sold in the states does but they are easily found. http://absorbine.com/products/fly-contr ... shield-ex/

You can spray this on your clothing and let it dry. It will remain active for at least five washings. This product doesn't only repel ticks but it kills them. For dogs you work it into their fur and let it dry and it's good for 17 days. Much cheaper than vet products by the month http://absorbinepet.com/products/ultras ... -for-dogs/

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

I picked up a deer tick in the Fall at Long Island locks last year. These are perhaps the most likely to carry lyme disease. Unfortunately, they're also extremely small, about the size of a sesame seed. So as you can imagine they can go undetected quite easily. Here's a link that goes beyond the basics to help ease the worry of those who have come across ticks.
http://www.uptodate.com/contents/what-t ... the-basics
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
Hrman1977
Participant
Participant

Post by Hrman1977 »

Hi All,

In case you were wondering a great product to use for ticks is Tea Tree Oil. Ticks hate this stuff. Just put a little on your ankles, behind your knees, neck and elbows. They will stay away.

Hope that helps.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

They are really bad this yr and I have been taking them off as well as off my Lab who has the collar and monthly treatment on him. Be careful outdoors and do the tick check when you get home for safe measure.