Quick question - Pike

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bob23
Participant
Participant

Quick question - Pike

Post by Bob23 »

Hey guys!
Quick question: are you using steel or titanium leaders when fishing pike? I was fishing for walleye this weekend and my line was cut twice (pretty sure it was pike). Since I was planning on trying pike next weekend (never fished for it before), I was wondering if I needed wire leaders.

Thanks!
Bob
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Quick question - Pike

Post by Markus »

I only use heavy fluro leaders.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

I have been crappie fishing and caught many pike on 4lb braid no leader. never got bitten off. When I do fish for pike on heavier tackle, I use a heavier flouro leader (25lbs) Most of the time the pike do not inhale the bait completely
avidangler
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by avidangler »

Fluro is also my go to when leaders a re required. I like to use at least 25lb fluro for pike, but, have had them cut through 40lb when they inhale the bait. I stay away from any type of steel leader for two simple reasons. 1. steel can cut fish if they decide to roll and 2. steel leaders tend to kink which really annoys me.
Money can't buy you happiness but it can buy you fishing gear and that's kinda the same thing.
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

For pike, I use cheap lures and no leader. I rarely lose a lure to pike teeth, most of the time it's a crappy knot or a nick in the line.
If you're gonna be stupid, you'd better be tough.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I have used steel, fluoro and titanium. By far, I prefer the titanium leaders. They do not kink like the steel ones with only minimal care. They do not coil like heavy fluoro can. For some reason, they seem to tangle up less with the lure than fluoro or steel, probably because they are very flexible, light and therefore stay straight in line (with the main line) during the cast. They are visible in clear water however although I do not think that deters pike that much.

Nasty price though!!! I "seem" to forget to use them when I am in snaggy areas :lol:

Rod
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Fluoro all the way!!

Check out our site sponsor "huskie muskie" for some good leaders with qulaity snaps.
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
Bob23
Participant
Participant

Post by Bob23 »

Thanks very much guys for your replies!
... even though now I am wondering if the knot was not the reason I lost those lures! :oops:
I'm usually good with knots though...
Anyway, thanks for your advice!
Bob
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

I may be crazy or "old school" from what ppl tell me but I run 20lb mono line straight to the lure. I can't remember the last time I was bitten off. (other then a faulty knot)
Key is to check line regularly and retire if nicked
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

I used to use steel, but I've gone over to fluoro... 40-50lb. Still visible, but it seems to work better than the steel.

E
PikeFisherman17
Participant
Participant

Post by PikeFisherman17 »

Been fishing pike 18 years and have more success without leaders then I do with. 15lbs fluro is a personal preference. Usually bad knots are the reason pike get off.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

there is a difference between floro line and floro leader material though. the leader material is a lot tougher
Barry Keicks
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Just one other note about leaders, guys: I use a black steel leader while specifically targeting pike. I think the black is a bit less visible in most conditions. Also, if you spend a bit more for good quality leaders they don't seem to kink up as much as the cheap varieties.
My current leader is about a 40-lb equivalent tied to 36-lb. Fireline. And, it's been on there for quite a while without any bending or distortion.
If you are fishing at any speed other than slow, seems to work well and though I can't physically look under the water to see if it spooks any fish, I don't seem to get any more "follows" than one would expect.
BTW enjoyed reading this thread to see all the different opinions.
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Bob23
Participant
Participant

Post by Bob23 »

Thanks for all the replies, this is very interesting.