ORGF Opening Weekend Report

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

ORGF Opening Weekend Report

Post by Yannick Loranger »

We spent 95% of our opening weekend fishing in 5' or less and our guests were rewarded handsomely. Between Saturday and Monday I spent 32 hours guiding and a few more scouting. Opening weekend started with an eventful scouting mission with the wife and kids Friday after dinner.

My little guy learned to cast a spinning reel this Spring while catfishing at Jessup's Falls and he caught this fish all by himself from start to finish. His new PB at 20.5". Part of a triple header.

My wife followed suit with her PB. A very girthy, 25.5" fish.

On the guiding side of things, it was the weekend of the small pike and oversized walleye. We spent 95% of the weekend in 5' or less and were rewarded with triple digit numbers of pike, and multiple 20"+ walleye.

The D'Ariezo's from Montreal had gotten skunked on their last guided excursion in the U.S. Within minutes of the first line being cast, the elder of the clan landed a beauty walleye, and from there it was a steady day of trolled up pike and walleye.
While they trolled I cast the weedline. The bite was slow on the cast, but I did get this walleye from coontails boatside virtually right under one of the brothers' eyes.

Monday, after much insistance from the guide, Lvace finally started to cast while we were struggling on the troll, and on his 2nd cast, fish on. It was certainly a casting bite as between 2 groups we caught close to 100 pike on the day casting spinnerbaits, mepps, and buzzbaits.

We did get a few keeper walleye bottom bouncing, but like last year, the shallows are just way too much fun to leave. The next generation of Ottawa River walleye are on their way.

For those interested in booking a trip, we have weekend availability June 5th, 11th, and 12th and that's it until July. Weekdays are starting to fill up as well. We offer a group building option for those individuals or groups of two who don't mind fishing with a stranger to save a few bucks. Visit or website for pricing details. http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca

Fish On.
Yannick
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: ORGF Opening Weekend Report

Post by lape0019 »

Looking good Yannick!
harpdharp
Participant
Participant

Post by harpdharp »

Very nice fish!
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

very nice! You are having a great spring for sure.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Great start to the season Yannick.

There's a lot of smiling faces and decent fish in this report.

I'd like to see the fish that left the scar on that big pike!!
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.