Becoming addicted to gar!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CyrusG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Becoming addicted to gar!!!

Post by CyrusG »

This year I've been putting lots of effort into landing some big gar, after finding a few hot spots around the city that see little to no pressure my only problem was setting the hook on them!!! After lots of trial and error i finally got it down thanks to a buddy whos technique seems to work! i don't like the idea of using rope so catching them on lures or my own flies was the goal. Yesterday i did good, caught a few and got my personal best, a 37 incher. Today was completely different, i went back to the same spot and before i could cast i was seeing gar splash heavily in the shallows. I was ready for some action. I started casting and within minutes hooked my first gar of the day, a nice little 35 incher. After a quick release i went back and started casting around, before i knew it i hooked up again but this wasn't small.. After seeing a huge splash around my fly i set the hook and it felt like i got stuck into a rock, right away a 50+ inch gar went airborn with my fly in its mouth 3 times before it tired out :shock:

I've seen some big fish jump out, but never something as big as this. I was shaking pretty good after this fight!!! :lol:

This one came off shortly after the pic, the line didn't snap but it wasn't hooked very well. Need to use heavy lead on these guys.. Soon after i ended up getting a 47 incher on shore measured. Comparing it to the one in the water i have a good feeling the one i lost was over 50..

Last edited by CyrusG on Sat May 28, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cy
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Becoming addicted to gar!!!

Post by Jul0682 »

Congrats on the nice catch man :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on some nice Gar and great pics
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Awesome report! Congrats on the big Gar.... My favorite fishing memory from last year is a a longnose gar tail dancing on the water before bringing him in.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Very cool Cyrus! Great report. Always awesome to master a new species! For me this year it was spring catfish but I am thinking that Gar should be on my list as well!!! As soon as you mention feeling shaky after a fight I know that is a rush I want.

Rod
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

Any hints as to what lures might work for gar? I was told Manns one minus but have been unable to find any . Don't want to use rope and have no fly gear.
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Very nice dude, especially considering that you''re wading... I was out on the Ottawa the other day and the gars were everywhere!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

How those one proceed in catching one of these guys and what gear and lures do u use? Would be quite interesting to catch one of these beauties. .

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Good for you Cy! That 50 is coming for ya.

Gar will hit any bait that is presented to them, there's no secret bait. Get it in their face and you will get a reaction that still makes me chuckle even after seeing it several hundred times!

RJ
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

horsehunter wrote:Any hints as to what lures might work for gar? I was told Manns one minus but have been unable to find any . Don't want to use rope and have no fly gear.
I have had good luck with a chunk of dead bait or minnow on a #10 treble with a stinger hook under a float. I fish for them at night though.

The small fine wire treble hooks them deeply in the honey jaws.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

They sure are a fun fish to catch!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Awesome, I'm sure you'll get a monster in soon.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I just happened by chance upon a spot today where there were a lot of Gar although not the easiest shore casting location. They sure hit hard and fast ( I had four try a small shallow crankbait)... Very impressive but i only had one that had the hook in very, very briefly.

I have read a lot about the different styles of hooksets for gar (and I want to avoid rope) but this is going to be tricky apparently. What was that trick of your friends if you don't mind?

You seem to have it nailed!

BTW I was going to get my waders to make it easier until I spotted a massive snapping turtle right where I would have probably entered. I do not have a fondness for those beasties after an encounter with a prehistoric one when I was young.

Rod
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

RJ wrote:Good for you Cy! That 50 is coming for ya.

Gar will hit any bait that is presented to them, there's no secret bait. Get it in their face and you will get a reaction that still makes me chuckle even after seeing it several hundred times!

RJ
That's good to know thanks, and where do I go and fish do them? I basicly grew up finishing at my parents cottage and have no clue where to fish around the Ottawa area.. pretty much a newb.. lol
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I agree, the gar are addicting...

Keep it up cyrus, they are fun!!
MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.