Tired of the followers...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tired of the followers...

Post by Peron »

I have not posted any Pike for my opener because the couple I have caught were not very memorable, either in the fight or size. When I have wanted fun this May it has been with Catfish (which I really, really enjoy for some reason).

However, my 2016 pike opener would be a lot more memorable, probably record setting, if all the followers had been takers. With relatively clear water and all the sun we have had (along with a good set of polarized lenses), I have watched log after log drift quietly in behind my lures including some definitely serious fish. Occasionally a lunge but never too committed. I have changed up retrieves, lures etc. etc. with no luck. I am actually thinking about using live bait, usually not necessary at this time of year.

Pretty weird, the fish seem not to have that really aggressive spring feed thing happening.

Just me or has anyone else had similar experiences?

Rod
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Re: Tired of the followers...

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

When you get lots follows to the boat or to shore without any hits did you ever try to stop your retrieve? Like dead stop? That usually does it for me.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

This hot spell I bet has a bunch of fish a bit wonky. Water temps jumped 10 degrees in less than a week in most areas I've been.

RJ
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Walleye'm Fishing wrote:When you get lots follows to the boat or to shore without any hits did you ever try to stop your retrieve? Like dead stop? That usually does it for me.
Yup. And with sinkers and floaters. I am thinking RJ is probably right. The pannies are all stacked up under shade trees like mid summer. It feels like I am fishing in July until I realize my lures are weed free every cast! I am pretty sure that will change soon.

Rod
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Your right about the jumping 10 degrees.
I dismissed it when I read temp check, thinkingy unit was off.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Like Rj said. Water temo as change a lot.

On ghe 31 mile lake. Water went up 10 degree frome driday to sunday in some area,,,and sure few more now,,,thats is fast.

Same here few pike but nothing to brag about,,,lac leamay and ottawa river, But soon will go try some lakes for bigger ones 8) .

Wish you some big one bud

Joco
Bucky the d.o.g
Participant
Participant

Post by Bucky the d.o.g »

Same deal, 2 hrs just follows, but then, buddy and I sorta got lines crossed and i reeled in stupid quick to get out of his way, and finally got a pike on? O.k so we started fast retrieves, 7 fish in the next hour? Mind you the sun also went down a little that may also have changed things.
kliven
Participant
Participant

Post by kliven »

Bucky the d.o.g wrote:Same deal, 2 hrs just follows, but then, buddy and I sorta got lines crossed and i reeled in stupid quick to get out of his way, and finally got a pike on? O.k so we started fast retrieves, 7 fish in the next hour? Mind you the sun also went down a little that may also have changed things.
I second Bucky. Was out on Saturday night and sunday morning, and we found that fast retrieves on topwater really enticed a reaction strike. On Sunday, I ended up snap jerking a small 1/8th ounce jig and grub and caught about 10 pike of varying sizes (one was a pretty nice 3-4 pounder). When the sun came up, the bite pretty much died though. So perhaps even downsizing might help!
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Have not traditionally been out a lot for pike early in the season, but the past couple of weeks I have been surprised at not catching a few more of them.
Made 3 treks in the past 2 weeks and while I've caught a couple, they have been very scattered and on widely divergent types of structure / cover / conditions. Interesting what you guys noted about the fast retrieve, though, because the one solid northern I've boated ate up a spinner and large jig combo that was being ripped through the water very quickly, just inches under the surface.
Was working the Rideau River, on a flat in about 7-8 feet of water near a dropoff.
Hooked another one that day on a similar tactic and area but didn't get that one to the boat.
Attachments
A nice Rideau River pike ...
A nice Rideau River pike ...
DonPikeFH.jpg (92.77 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

donw wrote:Have not traditionally been out a lot for pike early in the season, but the past couple of weeks I have been surprised at not catching a few more of them.
Made 3 treks in the past 2 weeks and while I've caught a couple, they have been very scattered and on widely divergent types of structure / cover / conditions. Interesting what you guys noted about the fast retrieve, though, because the one solid northern I've boated ate up a spinner and large jig combo that was being ripped through the water very quickly, just inches under the surface.
Was working the Rideau River, on a flat in about 7-8 feet of water near a dropoff.
Hooked another one that day on a similar tactic and area but didn't get that one to the boat.
Nice pike there. I'll have to hit up the rideau this weekend for some pike. Maybe tonight if time allows.