Night fishing catfish from a boat - planning

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Night fishing catfish from a boat - planning

Post by fishingcarpenter »

G'day. I've been planning for sometime to get out on the Ottawa river for an evening - night of catfish fishing... Specifically after the biiiiig ones. I have a freezer bag full of 8-12" fallfish I plan on using as cutbait. Probably going to try this weekend

Would I be crazy to fish shallow humps/dropoffs in the middle of the river? Or should I stay closer to shore? Normally when I'm targetting catfish I'm fishing from shore with marginal success or close to shore with bobbers really early in the spring, like late april early may...

Any thoughts?

I'll be doing a report on this for sure if there is any success. There also will be a video.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Night fishing catfish from a boat - planning

Post by zippyfx »

Fish near food sources. Mouths of streams, water falls, dam outlets and the bottom of rapids.

I have heard some people having some success at the bottom of Rideau falls and Chats falls. Seems some nice ones landed at the bottom of the falls in Arnprior.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Re: Night fishing catfish from a boat - planning

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Well I'll be fishing lac deschenes so there isn't much of that, there are however a few very clear channels that are on my list to try out.