Help: Shirley's Bay walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishtracker
Participant
Participant

Help: Shirley's Bay walleye

Post by fishtracker »

Hi,

I've been having no luck targeting walleye at Shirley's Bay the last 3 or 4 weeks. I've been pulling out a bunch of decent pike and bass but not one walleye yet. I've been working the shallows and deep water but still nothing. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for finding and boating walleye on this stretch of the river? Preferred technique and presentation? Areas to focus on? Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Help: Shirley's Bay walleye

Post by Lenny »

They're pretty easy to find. I like using a white big-O or 3 inch grub. I catch 90% of them an hour before and an hour after sunset. During the day I find the fishing there tougher for walleye than other stretches of river (constance bay, petrie)
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Lol I told ya man, white big o! Just keep moving till ya find them. One day I'll head out with ya after work.
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

What's a white big O, may ask.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Wally wrote:What's a white big O, may ask.
Certainly one of my favorite lures of all time for numerous species. On White Lake the Pike and Bass love it. Buddy of mine uses it for lakers too. Funny enough I have one in pearl that isn't nearly as effective for some reason.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

The French call it: Un BigueHoBlanc!!!

It is to a walley what an M&M is to a fat kid.

Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Thanks guys ,i need some M&M for the wally's @ Lac-Ste-Marie, LOL,Will sure give a try.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Hey fish tracker, have to agree with the majority replies =- med size Cotton Cordell big O. White, perch, sun fish chartreuse - all should get them. Time is key. Try trolling the area north of the causeway entrance 12-14 feet of water, about an hour to an hour and a half before sunset to dark. Ill be very surprised if you dont pick some up.

Tim.
familyfishingfun
Participant
Participant

Post by familyfishingfun »

There is a shoal between Shirley's bay and Aylmer island, normally marked with a buoy (bleach bottle...), I have caught some nice walleye around that hump... I use a green fluorescent Big-O or wally-diver... Good luck.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

I've been working the northland worm harness in various colors and although simple it's been pretty effective. I have a big O, but it only dives to 5-6ft. How do you troll with it in 15+ feet of water? Bottom bouncer with leader?? I'd like to give this a try :)
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

smitty55 wrote:
Certainly one of my favorite lures of all time for numerous species. On White Lake the Pike and Bass love it. Buddy of mine uses it for lakers too. Funny enough I have one in pearl that isn't nearly as effective for some reason.

Cheers

I caught my first laker trolling a white big O in Algonquin.

E
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

I caught a 10lb laker and many others on 31 Mile Lake with a medium white big O behind a gang troll. And lots of bass.

Good lure for sure!
Shaun_300
Participant
Participant

Post by Shaun_300 »

Big-o is one of my favourites too for bass and pike. Haven't caught a walleye on one yet but haven't really tried using it for that. I will give it a shot sometime. I usually use the chrome/black. Need to pick up another white one, a pike broke my line last year and took my white one the sob lol.

Been catching all my walleye on white mister twisters and chartreuse worm harnesses I 14-18 feet of water just before dark.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

You guys been catching anything decent size?? I have caught a boat load of the 10-12" but not much bigger...mostly caught in around 15 fow. I've tried deeper but no hits, maybe I'm just not in the right spot!?!