Nice Carp and one stupid musky!!!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Nice Carp and one stupid musky!!!

Post by Peron »

This report involves a Carp and a Musky however no Musky were harmed in the making of this post :D
I decided to fish for Pike along the shore of Mooneys bay where I have had some luck in the past. No go today and even the bass were just in a following kind of mood. As some of you know, I have a weakness for Carp so I always carry corn and I decided to try below the falls. After two misses I finally hook one and I can tell it is a good size. Now for the stupid musky... As I am fighting this carp I see a long shape, approx. 3 feet following the carp on my line. A Musky! And it was not just a brief follow but the stupid thing tailed the carp for almost the entire fight. Either this musky was raised by a school of carp or he really needs glasses because the carp was definitely not on his menu. Landed my fish and didn't take a weight but definitely over 20lbs. I am pretty sure that there isn't a market for giant carp lures but if someone want's to run with it...... :lol: :lol:
Here is a shot of the carp... Naturally I caught it at the only time when nobody was around to take a photo of me with the fish:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 4132 times
Rod
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Nice Carp and one stupid musky!!!

Post by lapointeric »

Love it! Always adds a bit of adrenaline to see a crazy musky follow.

E
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Did it get hooked in the eye? Looks like it has a bad hangover.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

scarkner wrote:Did it get hooked in the eye? Looks like it has a bad hangover.
No. The hook was barely on the lip. I was suprised that I actually landed it. It banged in to the multitude of rocks at hogs back when I was landing it which cut it on the "nose" but it looks worse in the photo than it was. I noticed that the eye was actually askew before i got it in to shore so I don't think it was me. I am pretty certain the CTC (cruelty to carp) society would find me innocent! :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Cool story. Fish behavior fascinates me. I bet he was eyeing that Carp up to give it a poke... :lol:

RJ
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Great story. One time we launched at echolands went all the way upriver to the "falls" looking for bass. What we found was a school of suckers - Big ones being herded by a very long musky. She kept circling the school keeping them in a certain spot. we thtew the kitchen sink at this musky but it never stopped circling the school.

as a note Bass Season opens today.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nice! You definitely have the Ottawa area carp dialed it!!

I was targeting mooneye one evening last year and when I tossed it back it pancaked and got stunned. I minute later I see it it bobbing and weaving trying to get way from a musky in hot pursuit. Funny it wouldn't take a second look at my lures :)
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great report and fish too! The musky following the carp kind of seems like a competition/jealousy/curiosity kind of thing. When I fish for brook trout and walleye, I will often have 3-4 others following while I'm fighting a fish. I've never seen another species follow like you have though... And like you said, there's no way that the muskie could've eaten that carp so...
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ipjrobson »

That's definitely a neat story.

A carp seems like huge meal for a musky. Perhaps they feed on young carp. It's an interesting thought to say the least.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

It's a perverted Muskie with a big carp fetish

Top predator with nothing to worry about but us!
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

That's one chunky carp, all right.
But "stupid" musky? Hell, he was probably hanging around, giggling a bit, showing you what you COULD have caught if you'd stayed with the pike lures... lol
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus