Brockville are with the kids

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Markgb98
Participant
Participant

Brockville are with the kids

Post by Markgb98 »

Happy fathers all looking for some advice. New to the area I am looking for area to take my sons shore fishing close to brockville. We have tried blockhouse and hardy park with no luck. My little guy is 5 and gets boredeasily but loves going out.
donw
Participant
Participant

Re: Brockville are with the kids

Post by donw »

Hey Mark:
Sorry to see you didn't get any suggestions on Sunday. I am in Ottawa area, so not much help on good spots for you.
But, I used to take my kids fishing a fair bit when they were quite young, and probably a bit too late, I discovered the best places were spots that had a TON of other things to do. If we took snacks, a frisbee or football, the radio, had access to walking trails or places they could find snakes or turtles, it was always a huge success and they would be clamoring to go out again.
All kids have really short attention spans, so your little guy is just the norm! When he gets bored, go do something else for a while. He'll get back to the fishing rod soon enough.
You might already factor this stuff all in and if you do, good on you. Because I did not do that often enough, I was sometimes too focused on the "fishing" aspect of it.
And I probably turned one of my boys off fishing because of that -- luckily I still have my other son as a fishing buddy.
So, I mention this to every dad I can nowadays.
Best of luck, and enjoy every minute of your time outdoors with your son.
Cheers.
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
Hammer
Participant
Participant

Post by Hammer »

Good point Don. I always have cards, tick tack toe, coloring books with me to keep the kids busy.
The last thing I want to do is push them away from fishing because they find it boring.
Cheers.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Hey Mark I haven't shore fished around Brockville for years but the Parks you mention are the easiest for kids to fish from there is also a smaller park I think it's at the bottom of Thomas street just off Ann that might be worth checking out. There is also Galop canal in Cardinal lots of spots. My young lad whose 7 still loves using on my longer ice rods to drop down the sides of docks or walls for gobies, rockbass, sunfish. Kids don't care what they catch as long as it's something least that's been my experience.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Markgb98
Participant
Participant

Post by Markgb98 »

Thanks all we ended up going by the legion in cardinal it was great as there is a small playground with the little guy enjoyed while taking a break. As for the fishing was very slow young lad caught a nice smallie first cast but that wa it all day but was awesome to see the smiles and the smack talk the little guy was laying down on his 13 yr old brother was hilarious. Tight lines all