White Lake bass opener and a warning

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

White Lake bass opener and a warning

Post by Alby »

Hey gang,
I spent the day on White Lake yesterday, for bass opener. Like many others, we caught 40-50 in total, all approximately 2-3 pounds. We released every single one of them.
I absolutely love this lake; not because it's full of big bass, but because it's such a clean lake, full of bass, even if they're small ones, and keeps my 13 year old lad entertained. Spending time fishing with him is always a good time.

Unfortunately, we witnessed 3 douche bags dragging a 6foot string completely full of fish. All pike and bass. There had to have been at least 20-30 fish on that line.

I followed them for a bit, got close as I could, and noticed these idiots travelling in an unregistered boat.

It was a 14 foot red Lund aluminum boat with a 9.9 Merc. 3 guys in the boat.

What angers me more today is that I did nothing except cringe and shake my head.

I promised myself today to have the CO's number on speed dial on my phone, and if I see this kinda stupidity again, I'm making a phone call. I hate to be "the rat", it's really not my style, but I love this lake, and I want my kid to enjoy it the same way I enjoy it today.

Hope everyone had a good weekend, and stayed hydrated. It was a hot one!!

Tight lines,

Alby
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: White Lake bass opener and a warning

Post by CBB »

Congrats on a good day out with the young one and making him happy.

Those other guys in the boat may just love to eat fish and with no livewell it is the only way for them to keep their fish, thats all we ever did in days past. Nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat as it will replenish with good habitat. Pretty sure it is still over 10 hp before we need to add reg # to our boats and that is why motor manufactures put out 9.9 hp motors for that reason. JMO
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Alby,

Don't want to dress ya down on this one but calling these fellas "Douche Bags" and "Idiots" is a bit much.

Like was said earlier, that boat doesn't need to be registered.

3 guys with Sport licenses are allowed 6 Bass and 6 Pike each so by your count nothing illegal.

If I had to bet the guys in that boat may read this, it's happened on here before...it's kind of an awkward situation... :lol:

Glad ya a great day with the kid!

RJ
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

!st off, CBB, And RJ nailed it. In no way do I condone poaching in any fashion.I float fish, and hate seeing rainbows dragged down the river or creek on a string :oops: Though, as said: They were more than likely in their rights to have possession if those fish.It's hard as C&R anglers to see such things, but retract, enjoy, and cherish the moments with your young lad! Not trying on you Alby, your heart and thoughts go a long way! Some people like to harvest, some prefer pictures. At the end of the day, you had fun, your boy had a blast, and fish were kept for the table. I honor your post, and respect it! Though, as CPR fishermen and women, we must also respect and honor the regs,

Sorry if I offend:
T.L F.F
Alby
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Alby »

Well, looks like the only "douche bag" in this incident was .... me.

I thought all boats needed to be registered; not the case. Any boat under 10hp need not be.

I also was under the impression that possession limit was 6 fish total; did not know it was 6 fish per species.

This is was I like about this website; there's always an opportunity to learn.

Sorry guys; my bad for throwing punches too early. Should have further informed myself before throwin' em.

Especially in a public forum.

Hope everyone had a great weekend,

Alby
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Hey Alby,

If you look in the regs there is a "*" beside certain species like trout and salmon. This means aggregate limits apply to these species. In other terms if the limit is 5 and aggregate limits apply then you can only keep up to 5 in total and not 5 of each kind of trout. If you had 3 specs and 2 rainbows then you would have your limit of 5, you can't keep 5 rainbows and 5 specs.

If aggregate limits do not apply such as walleye, pike, bass then you can keep 5 eyes, 5 pike and 5 bass (if limits for each species were 5).

That's the beauty of fish-hawk, so much information to learn from on here!

Glad you and your son had a great day and hopefully you guys will have plenty more great outings this summer.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Alby wrote:Well, looks like the only "douche bag" in this incident was .... me.

I thought all boats needed to be registered; not the case. Any boat under 10hp need not be.

I also was under the impression that possession limit was 6 fish total; did not know it was 6 fish per species.

Sorry guys; my bad for throwing punches too early. Should have further informed myself before throwin' em.

Alby
Don't beat yourself up Alby. What do Hockey Coaches call them again? Teachable Moments... :lol:

RJ
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Alby wrote:Well, looks like the only "douche bag" in this incident was .... me.

Alby
kudos to you Alby! You posted something and might have been a bit off on your facts, a couple of the guys gently straightened you up and you responded to it very well. There's been a lot of threads get out of control over the years....a kinder gentler FH is better for everyone. well done man!
Rex Mundi
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rex Mundi »

Good to hear you had a good day but if you are willing to share what were the bass hitting on in White Lake?

I am taking my 11 year old a couple times over the next week and White Lake is on my list and want to try and keep him entertained.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Rex Mundi wrote:Good to hear you had a good day but if you are willing to share what were the bass hitting on in White Lake?

I am taking my 11 year old a couple times over the next week and White Lake is on my list and want to try and keep him entertained.
The first thing for sure I would be tying on would be a white BigO. The pike there love it too.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter