St Laurence river Rockport walleye

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Superstang01
Participant
Participant

St Laurence river Rockport walleye

Post by Superstang01 »

Lately I have been catching some walleye off my dock in Rockport on the St Laurence river. This is the first time I have ever caught this kind of fish, usually we just get pike! The water ranges from 10 - 70' deep. How do you recommend I target more walleye? What kind of ninnows or jigs should I use? Is there any rigs that I can throw a minnow on and just wait it out?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: St Laurence river Rockport walleye

Post by smitty55 »

If it's not normal then it may not last for long. In the meantime keep doing what's working now or else rig up a drop shot rig so you can target different depths from the dock.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

If there is a current you could set up a slip float rig (leech, minnow or worm) and just let it drift by and then re-cast it out to cover different depths.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Work a jig with a twister tail along with a night crawler along the bottom or cast a few different plugs as the sun goes down. Bite is on pretty good as the water temps are starting to warm up.
tr21chris
Participant
Participant

Post by tr21chris »

Walleye anywhere on the St Lawrence with depth and current is getting to be pretty normal the last few years...they're really doing well. 1/2 oz jig head, chartreuse gulp twister tail works great for me. Dropshot with a gulp minnow works as well. If you're fishing off the dock at night, try some deep diving husky jerks ;) Good luck