Fishing regulations and ignorance.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing regulations and ignorance.

Post by Kerrazy »

T-minus 2 days and counting for my honey hole to open up Bass Season. Wahoo!

Not because I am a die hard Bass angler, I am a multi species kinda guy, who just appreciates the fight of a nice smallie or bucket mouth!

Last night, the young lad and I went out for a little bit of lure dipping, and we were met with some lads coming off MY honey hole.

A fancy Bass Boat with a Bass organization sticker and tournament team number on the side of it. I quickly enquired if they had any luck, and he responded the bass were abundant.

I said, hmmm, I am sorry, I must be confused, but this is zone 25 and the season doesn't open until the 24th.

Oh no he states, it's open everywhere.

I said yep, everywhere north of here, but not here, this is part of the Ottawa River.

He again stood his ground, and I politely said, hmm, dang, all this time, I have been letting them spawn. Thanks for letting me know!

Well, I checked again this morning, for the umpteenth time the regs for the zone, and I was correct.

All this to say, folks enjoy fishing, and have a great summer on the water.

If it is a new body of water, take time and familiarize yourself with the limits on that particular body of water in the area you intend to fish. Many large bodies, are split up and may have unique regulations.

It could hit your wallet, otherwise, oh and there is that other pesky thing, it could disturb spawning fish or deplete at risk species, if harvested over limits set by the local MNR.

I was truly disappointed a tournament angler was not showing good stewardship practices to his own sport.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fishing regulations and ignorance.

Post by RJ »

Two things stick out to me on this one.

1. Don't put "tournament" anglers above "weekend warriors" as stewards. They are no different than anyone else, they simply play in the competitive realm of fishing. They have no higher standard to live by than you do because they have a sticker on their motor. Some of the worst transgressions I've ever witnessed were by guys with numbers on their motors (that I did report to the MNR).

2. Likely pre-fishing for the Lefaivre tournament on the Ottawa on Saturday is my bet, another reason why opening weekend tournaments aren't overly cool with regards to regs but it is what it is. Guys can't help themselves and will always look for an edge. Trust me there were LOTS of guys Pike/Walleye fishing on Mississippi Lake prior to this past Saturday... :lol:

Or maybe he just made an honest mistake....but again I agree ignorance is no excuse.

RJ
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

RJ wrote:Two things stick out to me on this one.

1. Don't put "tournament" anglers above "weekend warriors" as stewards. They are no different than anyone else, they simply play in the competitive realm of fishing. They have no higher standard to live by than you do because they have a sticker on their motor. Some of the worst transgressions I've ever witnessed were by guys with numbers on their motors (that I did report to the MNR).

RJ
I guess, I just thought these guys would have put in the time to truly earn a respect for the true sportsmanship of fishing. Especially these fellows, one was late 40's the other mid 50's and truly appeared smart enough to appreciate the situation.

But, you are 100 % correct,we all play a part in ensuring these are sustainable!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
merc40
Participant
Participant

Post by merc40 »

Did you mean Zone 12?
merc40
Participant
Participant

Post by merc40 »

Found Zone 25, thought you were talking about Ontario. Oops!