Golden Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rich_22
Participant
Participant

Golden Lake

Post by Rich_22 »

I will be camping on the Bonnechere river close to Golden lake this coming weekend, and was curious if anyone has fished these waters before. Im not looking for youre secret fishing spot, more of just a general introduction to the area (fish species, techniques, river vs lake). The MNR site says there are lakers in the area, and pike, bass, pickeral( walleye sorry). Any information would help......
chappee77
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Golden Lake

Post by chappee77 »

I'm staying at the same park this weekend with the family... I will be fishing round lake
for lakers in between keeping the kids busy...lol I have a 18 ft pro angler set up for downrigging, if
your interested maybe we can get out for an early morning fish when the family is sleeping...give me a
pm if your interested...Chad...
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

I rented a cottage on Golden Lake last summer, right at the mouth of the bonnechere and made several trips up the river.
The area was good for bass and pike.
I have heard there were walleye in Golden Lake but I did not try that hard for them. I heard that trolling with a bottom bouncer was the way to go. I did not have my kicker motor last summer so I did not get a chance to try.
Good luck.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

chappee77 wrote:I'm staying at the same park this weekend with the family... I will be fishing round lake
for lakers in between keeping the kids busy...lol I have a 18 ft pro angler set up for downrigging, if
your interested maybe we can get out for an early morning fish when the family is sleeping...give me a
pm if your interested...Chad...
Are you kidding me?? Rich_22 you just lucked out big time with that offer. Jump on it lad!! Get the serious fishing in with Chad at early morning and get your fix in, and learn at the same time. Leaves you plenty of time for kids stuff, family fishing, and of course those laid back camping times. Maybe your kids will end up getting along, you ever know. :D

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Can you still get the infamous "Golden Lake Itch"? Might want to check before you go swimming in the lake.
Bster
Participant
Participant

Post by Bster »

ganman wrote:Can you still get the infamous "Golden Lake Itch"? Might want to check before you go swimming in the lake.

Going to Golden Lake at the end of the month…..What does this itch thing mean?
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

I used to camp there as a kid, not sure if people still get the "Golden Lake Itch" from swimming there. As far as I knew, it was Swimmer's Itch from parasites in the water. Not dangerous, but an itchy and unpleasant experience nonetheless.
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

Yup been there done that at Golden Lake Have a chum who rented a cottage there for years with his family and never got the swimmers itch, but he helped me get a boat lift I had purchased from someone on the lake and we both got it. Very thankful we were only in to our knees LOL. A good shower after coming out of the water usually prevents any problems.This parasite (from ducks I believe) has been known to hit many body's of water through the years. As for the fishing he has always done well for sm Bass on Golden lake and the river

Good Luck :)
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

ganman wrote:Can you still get the infamous "Golden Lake Itch"? Might want to check before you go swimming in the lake.
Not all people get it. We had a cottage for about 10 years in Deacon, just off Mcnee Road. Anyway. We rented a few years also there, and no one got it. Towel off good, especially if you swim at the shore.

Caught Bass, Pike on the Bonnechere river. Many good holes to hit. Also caught Walleye in Golden Lake. Has many good spots.