A Place For Kids

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Rawb
Participant
Participant

A Place For Kids

Post by Rawb »

Just getting in to the Ottawa area fishing scene and I am looking for a good place to bring the kids. My wife and I worked a bit of Mississippi Lake and did pretty well but I am looking to explore a bit and would like to bring my girls somewhere where the fishing is "good".
Even know my girls are teenagers, they are like any other kids and just want to catch fish. Size doesn't matter to them and species doesn't make much difference. That being said, they don't like contending with teeth...so bass and panfish would be great.

I welcome your suggestions and appreciate any direction you can give.

thanks!
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: A Place For Kids

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Dow's Lake
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
azabache
Participant
Participant

Post by azabache »

Yannick Loranger wrote:Dow's Lake
Like Yannick said Dows lake is a great place to take the family fishing. Lots of shoreline fishing for Bass, Pan fish and the odd cat fish too at the bottom of the lock station.
I would also suggest all along the Rideau Canal as this has been quite fun to fish this past 2 weeks. Try under the Bank st. & Pretoria St Bridges.

Tight line & have fun! :D

Azabache & Junior
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well gidday Rawb. How are you rigged up? That will help folks here in offering advice.

My first thought while reading your post was that there are plenty of good fishermen who would tell you that the Miss is already a pretty good lake for many species. That being said, the desire to explore trumps that, which makes perfect sense to me. I'd recommend trying out White Lake, it's only an hour away and offers a quite healthy bass and pike population of mid sized fish, as well as good sized perch that are more targeted in the winter, but they're still around. If you want try Walleye, well they be there lad too. :wink:
I'd suggest trying Cedar Cove as a base. Ever since the Pugh family took over 10 years ago they've done a great job fixing the place up and offering plenty of quality services including a good restaurant and outfitter service. http://www.cedarcove.ca/

As for teeth, pike are lots of fun to catch. For the time being you could always do the release for the girls, but they should be getting used to it anyway if they're going to be really in to fishing. Give them the proper tools and I'd bet they'll be fine.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Rawb
Participant
Participant

Post by Rawb »

smitty55 wrote:Well gidday Rawb. How are you rigged up? That will help folks here in offering advice.
We do have a boat. Just picked up a nice Legend xtreme not long ago. We are looking to explore the lakes and rivers around the Ottawa area.

Thanks very much for the input...let's hope the rain holds off for us this weekend.
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

Mississippi is excellent for bass and large sunfish and it will take a while to explore the whole lake.
White lake, as said is excellent for anything.
Ottawa River out of Braeside, just past Arnprior, you might get into cats.
If you go to a lake with pike, prepare for it.
I suggest taking the treble hook off a 3 inch Williams Wabler (get the red and white) and add a #4 or #5 worm hook( like you use for bass).
Use your pliers to bend back the barb and you then have a lure that is extremely easy to remove with just a shake of the hook while the fish is still in the water.
Spinner baits with the barb bent can work the same way but usually get ruined after a few larger pike.
Good Luck.
David
donw
Participant
Participant

Post by donw »

Hello Rawb ... one place close by to you is the Mississippi at Pakenham. There is a decent launch there and good bass fishing through that stretch. Also lots of panfish around.
One nice thing about that location is that you can double up with lunch (little burger join right on the corner at the five-arch bridge, or just walk into town a bit to a fantastic ice cream spot for the gals (or you and your wife).
You can wade around a bit in the rapids under the bridge for a break from the fishing action.

Another possibility, in the other direction, is Muskrat Lake at Cobden. It's a beautiful spot with decent bass and panfishing and you don't have to move far from the launch to find fish.

Enjoy.
Don W
Fishing is fun ... catching something is a bonus
CarlosR
Participant
Participant

Post by CarlosR »

Try the Lower Rideau in Smith falls. I bring my five-year-old son there and we catch about 20 to 30 bass each time we go. You can see a ton fish in the wate; feeder fish, sunfish, small/big mouth.... It's great place to go with kids.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19061

Carlos
Rawb
Participant
Participant

Post by Rawb »

Wow...All great info gents. Thanks very much.

We took the girls to Mississippi and they loved it. I had my wife and my oldest in the front fishing for bass and my youngest out the back hooking what looked to be blue gill. I hardly had time to fish for positioning the boat in the wind and taking fish off hooks. It was a great day for sure...a ton of smiles!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Great to hear ya had some success Rawb. TONS of options in our area to wet a line. Others than have been missed: Big Rideau Lake, Constance Lake, Clayton Lake, then ya have the Ottawa, Rideau and St. Lawrence Rivers. All great fishing!

RJ
Rawb
Participant
Participant

Post by Rawb »

We've been out on the Rideau river a few times and have had zero luck. I guess I'm in the wrong spots. :x
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

I went to Rideau river several times recently and it seems this year fishing is a lot tougher than previous years for sure and may be because the water level is low this year and the weed is not in good shape and all brownish like and I saw less lily pad on the river in Kars up to Rideau provincial park stretch. Weird!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I have seen good sunfish activity at Kars with the kids. also jigging a chunk of worm of the bottom around teh north and south side never fails to turn up rock bass and perch.