Requesting Feedback on Swim Baits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Requesting Feedback on Swim Baits

Post by StarTzar »

Bass Addict wrote:

I'm just sitting back, gently stirring my pot, pondering my next move to the topic in question ! :wink: :wink:
I've decided not to stir this one .... not worth the effort.
But I am anxiously awaiting your next move.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Smelly fish? wrote:May the worm be eaten!
:lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I saw a SMB hork up 2 senkos on the floor of my boat today. I'm betting right about now that dude is feeling pretty good having got rid of them.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Funny how the locals who complain about fish being killed are the ones responsible for the walleye decline in those lakes.... Stress, miss handling, lures and pollution are all part of it and sadly a part of fishing.... there is no easy answer but research and better practices and techniques such as stanger is doing are steps in the right direction!
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

that is a pretty bold and generalized statement. Blaming fish decline on locals is somewhere that you shouldn't go IMO based on the many factors potentially involved.

Pretty sure you'd have your back up if I suggested tournament anglers were responsible for fish decline.

just so we're clear on where I am coming from, I do not own lakefront property and I do fish tournaments
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

One thing is for sure, locals love to drive them golf balls!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Mick wrote:that is a pretty bold and generalized statement. Blaming fish decline on locals is somewhere that you shouldn't go IMO based on the many factors potentially involved.

Pretty sure you'd have your back up if I suggested tournament anglers were responsible for fish decline.

just so we're clear on where I am coming from, I do not own lakefront property and I do fish tournaments
First, You're barking up the wrong tree on this one Mick. Marty isn't a tournament angler, :lol: (aside from a couple of fun events here and there).

Second, He's absolutely bang-on about the walleye population decline in Clayton. But I will soften the 'local' comment. Take that word out of his comment. And just put in 'over-harvesting'. I've witnessed many a walleye caught and kept on that lake that are out of season. And no size is off limits. So whether it's someone who has a lake front property, or just one of the hundreds of campers that visit every weekend, it's taking a toll. It's not the largest bow. Like many lakes, it is getting a little light is all.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Oneeleven wrote:
Mick wrote:that is a pretty bold and generalized statement. Blaming fish decline on locals is somewhere that you shouldn't go IMO based on the many factors potentially involved.

First, You're barking up the wrong tree on this one Mick. Marty isn't a tournament angler, :lol: (aside from a couple of fun events here and there).

Second, He's absolutely bang-on about the walleye population decline in Clayton. But I will soften the 'local' comment. Take that word out of his comment. And just put in 'over-harvesting'. I've witnessed many a walleye caught and kept on that lake that are out of season. And no size is off limits. So whether it's someone who has a lake front property, or just one of the hundreds of campers that visit every weekend, it's taking a toll. It's not the largest bow. Like many lakes, it is getting a little light is all.
You cannot take the word local out of his comment, it's the word that he used. You substitute it with over harvesting and I wouldn't have responded how I did. Many people over harvest fish, not just lakefront cottage owners.

Wouldn't the textbook definition of a tournament angler be "one who fishes tournaments" ?

Fish decline is a complex issue and there are many factors that are causing it. I don't think that members of this site should be pointing the finger at "locals" nor do I think that non tournament fisherpeople should be pointing the finger at tournament fisherpeople.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Mick. You seem pretty hell-bent on being argumentative. Not sure what your "definition of tournament angler" point was trying to make. But a couple of drop-in, fun events does not a tournament angler make, so no.... to quote you 'that's a pretty bold and generalized statement'.

And people who fish every single day, day in day out, keeping every fish they catch is going to be more detrimental than someone who fishes once a week and keeps *no* fish. Or someone who fishes once a week and keeps one or two fish, fish that are in season, fish that are selectively chosen to help give the best chance at the fishery sustaining itself. Not placing everything that bites the live bait off their hook into the cooler on their boat, no matter what the size, species, or time of year.

But yes, everyone can *for sure* over harvest, but someone who lives close-by is more apt to pop out for a daily fish, than a weekend warrior. I think that is all that was meant by Marty's comment. (Just IMHO).

But ... This is getting off topic. I will agree.. all elements have a hand in the health of a fishery. Plastic ingestion sucks and I hope that as time goes on we are going to get better and better non-toxic, bio-degradable versions that are affordable and that fish well. And I hope that in future, *all* plastic manufacturers will use a materiel that fits that criteria.
Last edited by Oneeleven on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Oneeleven wrote:Mick. You seem pretty hell-bent on being argumentative.
hello pot, this is kettle calling. :roll:
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Mick wrote:
Oneeleven wrote:Mick. You seem pretty hell-bent on being argumentative.
hello pot, this is kettle calling.
.... and yet *still* not one useful comment to the thread......... :roll:

PS: Sorry R.J. Peace out.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Oneeleven wrote:.... and yet *still* not one useful comment to the thread......... :roll:
I guess you missed this post Tina. Seeing as how this thread is about fish ingesting plastic baits it certainly is pertinent.
Mick wrote:I saw a SMB hork up 2 senkos on the floor of my boat today. I'm betting right about now that dude is feeling pretty good having got rid of them.
Along the same line, I recently ran into a well known member here who fishes a ton, mostly trout and salmon, and also does some chartering. He told me he's caught two Splake this summer with 10" plastic worms in them. It just goes to show that all species are susceptible to lost plastic baits and I would go as far to say that the problem is likely far worse that most folks are willing to admit.
Smitty

Straight shooter
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

smitty55 wrote: I guess you missed this post Tina.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Along the same line, I recently ran into a well known member here who fishes a ton, mostly trout and salmon, and also does some chartering. He told me he's caught two Splake this summer with 10" plastic worms in them. It just goes to show that all species are susceptible to lost plastic baits and I would go as far to say that the problem is likely far worse that most folks are willing to admit.
So Smitty. what plastics have you been using lately? Do you have any brands that you like that have done you well so far this summer?
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

How I missed how fast people can get all up in arms on this site! Stanger is doing the right thing by researching and like him I am also going back to sitting on the side lines casting lines...and not tournament fish in my little 12ft with no livewell lol
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Well holy crap. I haven't opened this thread because I actually though it was ABOUT swimbaits....

We've all learned that throwing used baits in the water is bad, though we all used to throw them overboard at one point I imagine. Why we ever thought that was ok is beyond me but it happened.

Stanger, I think it's a valid question you ask but I'd be curious why you are losing tails so much, it has to be Panfish nipping and you are ripping a hookset on em leading to the tail being ripped off. The typical swimbait bite isn't violent, it's more of a suddenly there's just weight on your line and a half way solid hookset gets em most of the time. No plastic is going to hold up to being ripped at like that. Senkos are the same, a tip I give to anyone in my boat is you don't set the hook until you feel solid weight on your line, they ain't spitting it. I lose 5 times less baits due to making folks do that.

I kinda agree with Ed on it's funny the guys complaining about plastics in stomachs clearly killed the fish to find that out but I digress.

Smitty took a stance, provided some research and that's fine.

There is no shortage of Walleye in Clayton Lake, I've heard some great catch rates this summer from a handful of guys. The new slot is going to help but it will take a generation of fish to really see the results. Someone who keeps fish out of the slot or OOS are what they are, local or not. I choose to think they are a very small percentage of anglers.

I HATE to see guys saying they are going back into the shadows, it drives me nuts.

Carry on.

RJ