Requesting Feedback on Swim Baits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Stanger
Participant
Participant

Re: Requesting Feedback on Swim Baits

Post by Stanger »

Smitty - You're critizing me!? So you don't use any plastics then right?

I'm using a very popular tournament quality brand that you and many others on here are probably also using. There are a hell of a lot more people out there that are better qualified to make the call. The manufacturer, governing bodies, professional anglers raising awareness... If people here agreed it should be a concern then I would be on board. That didn't happen! All I got was basically people saying don't throw overboard...

I was doing the responsible thing by seeking feedback from people on this forum. I wanted to verify if people thought this guy I ran into had any validity to his concern. Surprisingly based on the lack of response, most don't care and will continue doing the same, therefore so will I.

The fact I put it out there speaks volumes. I wouldn't have wasted my time if I didn't care. So how about I make you happy... I as a casual weekend fisherman will stop using plastics and the rest of the fishing world can continue what they're doing because that makes sense. Sound good?

Acutally wait! Since Smitty has acknowledged I have done the homework and produced conclusive results, I hereby declare that everyone must immediately stop using any type of plastics!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Stanger wrote:Smitty - You're critizing me!? So you don't use any plastics then right?
Bud, you can't let guys like Smitty get to you lol.
It's the internet, there will always be someone looking to judge or give you crap.. Go on Facebook and read comments on anything lollll
Keep doing what you are doing, it's a free country, when you run out of those baits, see if you can find something else to replace your swimbaits.

I agree with what CBB says here:
CBB wrote:All I have to say on this is most fish will pass it as we are catching Rock Bass right now with large whole craw fish in them and I am sure their eye's water when they pass them shells and claws. It would take a pile of people loosing rubber in a given area to really effect fishing. You go south and look at the number of boats on the water any given day fishing for Bass 365 days a yr and their numbers are growing. Some of these claims on researches are due to having to come up with something so as to get more funding for further research. JMO
Go fishing, enjoy the summer before winter sets in. :twocents-twocents:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Just sitting back on this one, gently stirring my coffee…
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Stanger, no need to get your face into a knot. I wasn't criticizing you, but if that's the way you want to take it, whatever. You are the one who said you didn't want to hurt fish, but then you say you're not going to stop using a bait that constantly gets the tails bitten off, so which way do you want it? Other folks mentioned other plastics you could try, are you upset with them too?
Also never once did I mention anywhere to stop using plastics, so maybe you might want to re-read my post and not make assumptions. I only said, as others did, that you could try other baits that don't rip so easily. Also, nowhere did I acknowledge that you have done your homework and got conclusive results, so why don't you show me.
Btw, if you were to think about, whats the difference between plastics that get bitten off or get tossed overboard. Either way it's the same result, plastics end up inside fish. Anything fishermen can do to minimize that is good for the fish.

As for fish easily being able to pass plastics, that's just speculation. If that guy was finding plastics inside multiple Pike, obviously those ones weren't passed. Also, as was mentioned, Trout in particular can be specially vulnerable due to their anatomy. And it's a fact that at one point Maine was considering banning the use of plastics completely, so obviously they considered it a real issue. Now I don't know how much other research you've done, and there is lots out there, but it seems as you're only basing your decision on a few responses from one thread. so I guess you can feel justified.
You know, at first I was applauding you for your concern, but now I don't even know why you bothered asking in the first place, as in my opinion you obviously weren't going to stop using that bait in the first place. That, you can take as criticism if it makes you feel better.
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

TheMaverick wrote:Just sitting back on this one, gently stirring my coffee…
Lol

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Stanger
Participant
Participant

Post by Stanger »

What are people's thoughts on the Gambler line of plastics? Would this be a good option to try?

Not you Smitty. I only want feedback from people who actually fish and don't just sit in a rocking chair trolling the forum bitter about how their best days on the water have long past...
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Gambler makes a good product, if you have time, head over to Paddletales in Winchester.
Ed's got a ton of Gambler stuff and a bunch of other quality swimbaits.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Stanger
Participant
Participant

Post by Stanger »

smitty55 wrote:As for fish easily being able to pass plastics, that's just speculation. ..
That wasn't my speculation...
smitty55 wrote:Now I don't know how much other research you've done, and there is lots out there, but it seems as you're only basing your decision on a few responses from one thread. so I guess you can feel justified..
Bingo! This thread is me doing research.. Let me guess. You're going to criticize me not doing a lot more research... Guess next time I'll just turn a blind eye because that's better and I don't have to put up with BS from people like you... In all seriousness your simple comment about Maine has been the most useful piece of information to me yet. I had no idea there was concerns... I'm just a guy that found a product he liked and starting using it. Now back to the sarcasm. I deeply apologize Smitty for using a fishing forum to ask a fishing related question to get people opinions locally instead of just doing independent online research.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Stanger... welcome to FH. No member is complete without a public forum flogging from Smitty.... :roll: :lol:

As far as quality of plastics, it sucks that the ones that are the softest and most lifelike are also the ones that tend to get ripped off the easiest.

I like Gambler a lot. I also like Strikeking plastics. Find they hold up well. Both hard and soft water.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Stanger wrote:What are people's thoughts on the Gambler line of plastics?
Only but fished the ugly otter, decent plastic, but nothing revolutionary about them.
Heard very good things about the rhythm wave as far as swimbaits.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I know River Monster on here uses them for spinnerbait trailers and alone on a weighted hook.
Stanger
Participant
Participant

Post by Stanger »

Oneeleven wrote: As far as quality of plastics, it sucks that the ones that are the softest and most lifelike are also the ones that tend to get ripped off the easiest.
You nailed it right there and this has been my problem... Gambler was the product in question from the start, but I didn't initially want to publically share that. It seems like the qualities that make it such a good bait for catching fish might potentially be bad for them (if consumed). I'll checkout Strikeking to see how they compare because I never have really used them.

Going back to Smitty's comment about feeling justified, now I do! Since others have verified they use and endorse Gambler baits, I will continue also. If there is a public outcry over these baits being harmful, I'll jump on the bandwagon.

Well that fills my quota of activity on the forum for the year, back to silent observation mode for now...
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Stanger wrote:
Well that fills my quota of activity on the forum for the year, back to silent observation mode for now...
Hey now ..... don't be a stranger.
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

TheMaverick wrote:Just sitting back on this one, gently stirring my coffee…

I'm just sitting back, gently stirring my pot, pondering my next move to the topic in question ! :wink: :wink:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Smelly fish?
Participant
Participant

Post by Smelly fish? »

Wow is all that I can spudder. I recently moved to Ottawa and came on to check out some good local watering holes. For what's it's worth, I to use Gambler products-with satisfaction I may add. But with any products, sometimes you can have a bad batch and that may be why Stanger lost 10 where he had no previous problem. Kinda rude on you Smitty. Stanger was articulate with his post and responses. Anyhow, a cousin of mine is taking me to a lake near the city of arnprior tomorrow-hoping we have a cooler evening for a jumpy morning cast. Have fun all!

May the worm be eaten!