Clayton / Taylor Bass

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Stanger
Participant
Participant

Clayton / Taylor Bass

Post by Stanger »

I've been fishing Clayton / Taylor for a number of years now and between us, I found the bass fishing there just awesome. Generally speaking every outing will produce both numbers and size. This year something has changed. In five outing and roughly 75 Largies later, the biggest I've got this year is 2.6! That used to be pretty much our average. I have 3 buddies who have all independently had the same experience this year. Does anyone have any theories about what's going on? Are others experiencing the same?
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Clayton / Taylor Bass

Post by Cyber »

A lot less 'catch & release' taking place?? :( :(
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Sadly, I think Cyber is correct. Due to it's stumpy nature, and less (fast/big) boat traffic because of this, lots of tinny's feel comfortable there. Lot's of fishermen popping out to catch their harvest, more than they might on a bigger bow with lots of wake/current.

Totally just my theory. But I fish there quite a bit and notice many a boat around me keeping anything that they get on their lines.

Nothing wrong with keeping fish to eat. But you know the adage, if everyone kept everything they caught........ :|
colossalboom
Participant
Participant

Post by colossalboom »

Actually, it's possible it could be a case of too much catch and release. Not harvesting enough medium sized fish from a body of water can be harmful in the long run. Young adult fish are more aggressive than larger fish and are therefore more competitive and aggressive when it comes to feeding. The larger fish get less of the available forage and end up depleting. I'm sure there are other factors involved but I've read and been told by biologists that harvesting a healthy amount of fish is a good thing for the fish population.
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

The big ones are not where they where last year! Think late spawn..... low water levels...water temp high.... and throw in some cold fronts! Took me a few outings but found them!
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Lvace wrote:The big ones are not where they where last year! Think late spawn..... low water levels...water temp high.... and throw in some cold fronts! Took me a few outings but found them!
It seems big bass is hide in deeper around 15ft in that lake. Shallow did not produce too many fish so far for me so I haven't gotten chance to use favorite frog in Clayton.