Ottawa River Bass fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Ottawa River Bass fishing

Post by JoelE »

Good afternoon,

I'm hoping some of you can help me. I've been trying to fish Ottawa River for the last few weeks and can't seem to figure out how to catch the bass in Ottawa River. I have been to some bays and have a caught a few. Any suggestions.

I'm thinking of trying Baie Clement. I have been in there once 2 weeks ago the water was very very dirty. Tried to fish it a little bit but nothing. I usually launch on the Gatineau side either Labrosse boat ramp or at Mason. I've tried from Rockland to Petrie Island to close to the Parliament. I have tried multiple different presentations as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Ottawa River Bass fishing

Post by ShawnD »

Hey Joel, try Baie Clement again, make sure what you are throwing is either creating sound or a vibration.
It's a hard baie to fish but once you figure out what they want, you'll have a lot of fun.

;)
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

It’s a love/hate relationship with the Ottawa river.

You’ll have that window when the bite’s on and they’ll hit pretty much anything, but then again, it will shut down quickly and that’s when you’ll need to adjust.

Water levels, rain, cold fronts, wind direction and water temps, are probably the biggest factors to consider, imo, when fishing those back bays.

If you have a spot in mind, don’t be coming in hot, stop within 100 yards of that said spot, and start fishing that deeper ledge or weed perimeter.
You’ll get a better read of your surroundings, and maybe even hook up on a lurker.
Moving baits is a great option for this approach (spinnerbaits, buzzbait, wakebait).

Changing your lures profile might help, slow down your presentation, speed it up, find that pattern.

The Ottawa being dirty is probably the understatement of the year!
My opinion is, the fish are probably used to the turds by now, just don’t try and match the hatch.

And because sharing is caring…these were caught in Baie Clement, just a few weeks ago.

If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Look at the size of those horse flies!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

ShawnD wrote:Look at the size of those horse flies!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
EAP's bahahaa!
They've been bad on the bayou!
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
JoelE
Participant
Participant

Post by JoelE »

Thanks for the reply guys.