Lake St. Francis Advice . . .

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lake St. Francis Advice . . .

Post by NMG »

Hi folks,

I'm going to be camping down on Lake St. Francis next week for a couple of days and I was wondering if any of you could share some thoughts or advice? I've done a bit of research online and it sounds like the biggest challenge will be managing the current if I'm targeting smallmouth (would certainly like to, LOL!).

What about largemouth, pike and musky though? Would they be "easier" to locate and/or target? Sounds like smallmouth is the main target there, but I'm willing to give everything a shot.

I'll be staying at the Glengarry campground, but I would have the ability to run around a bit if the better water is located a bit of a distance away. I've never been on the water down that way so looking forward to explore and check it all out.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share!
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Lake St. Francis Advice . . .

Post by BigC »

I've only been a couple times and we've had some luck with trolling for Muskie and Pike. One thing that I can say is the floating weeds out there make the Ottawa or Rideau look like a swimming pool. The mats of floating weeds get as big as your boat or bigger. When trolling a weed gaurd is a must and you have to be watching for mats so big they'd bust your rod if you went through them. With it being contruction week in QC they'll be extra boaters and more weeds I'd imagine.

The place seems to have endless fishable areas, the current is strong in places but is aviodable if need be.

Not sure that helps you at all, but that's what I remember.
Last edited by BigC on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

ill send you a PM
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

That's cool, thanks BigC. I suspect I'll be casting most of the time, but I'll be on the lookout for weeds. I always thought the Rideau was bad in the summer, LOL :)