Multiple Open Seat Opportunities July 29 to August 8

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Multiple Open Seat Opportunities July 29 to August 8

Post by scarkner »

I am off work tomorrow and all next week and I plan on doing a LOT of fishing!

Several open-seat (shore, fly fishing, etc.) opportunities if anyone is interested. I love meeting new people and happy to team up for some good fishing.

Friday July 29th in the Evening on Silver Lake (near Sharbot Lake). Probably doing some slow-trolling for lake trout followed by bass/pike once I get bored. 16 foot "bass boat" so room for one or two people.
Saturday much the same.

Tuesday - Fly fishing either Bates or Deschene Rapids

Wednesday - Electric Canoe fishing Shirley's Bay

Thursday through Sunday - Not sure yet! Thinking about trying some dam fishing and exploring new places a short drive from Ottawa, possibly with the canoe.
WhitESOX
Participant
Participant

Re: Multiple Open Seat Opportunities July 29 to August 8

Post by WhitESOX »

Yaaah, jealous of the time off! Enjoy the holidays. Have fun with what will hopefully be new friends man. Great attitude, love it.

Next time the second seat is available in my boat I'll post it open here, in that spirit.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Do you ever jig for laketrout?
wrangler
Participant
Participant

Post by wrangler »

PM sent
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Oneeleven wrote:Do you ever jig for laketrout?
I have tried just about everything I can think of on Silver Lake, but with very little success. Have caught a couple ice fishing by jigging and caught the odd one doing long-line or down rigger trolling.

I have tried jigging in summer but just can't get the hang of how to find the fish, and then hover over them, without putting down an anchor (which is tough in 100 feet of water). I have heard that if I can learn this method, then it will produce well... would love to have someone show me :-)
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

BUMP:

Open Seat:

Tomorrow (August 5th) going to fish uncharted water between Bates Island and the Remic Rapids. Will be interesting to see what sort of depths there are in that stretch and what fish I can encourage to bite.

Either Friday evening or Saturday I will be fly-fishing Deschene Rapids. I have extra rods if anyone wanted to give fly fishing a whirl.
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OntarioRider »

scarkner wrote:
Oneeleven wrote:Do you ever jig for laketrout?
I have tried just about everything I can think of on Silver Lake, but with very little success. Have caught a couple ice fishing by jigging and caught the odd one doing long-line or down rigger trolling.

I have tried jigging in summer but just can't get the hang of how to find the fish, and then hover over them, without putting down an anchor (which is tough in 100 feet of water). I have heard that if I can learn this method, then it will produce well... would love to have someone show me :-)
I am in the same situation on Big Rideau. Catching them on the downrigger, but just cannot get the jigging side of things to work for me. I bought a new 899DI that I had hoped would make it easier to "see" the fish below me so I could jog them. Nope.
I watched a kid in a 15' tinny pulling up lots a few weeks ago .. I just can't get it. Getting my boat to stop drifting is part of the problem .. getting my fishfinder to show my jig and the fish is a whole other issue.
I am near Smiths Falls and one of these days will try Silver Lake.