Nipissing Lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hussein M
Participant
Participant

Nipissing Lake

Post by Hussein M »

Hey Guys,

Me and my two buddies will be going up to Nipissing Lake next week for 3 days. We will be staying at the West Arm Lodge and looking to target some larger pike. We have never fished or been to the lake. Does anyone have any experience on the lake or any suggestions where we should focus on.

Would love to come away with a catch to remember. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Nipissing Lake

Post by almontefisher »

May sound dumb but pike in that lake are in every bay and along most shore line drop offs...Big spinners will work well there. Again sounds pretty basic but it is in that lake for them. Im pretty sure if you try this one of you should walk away with a 35+" at least.
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I was at my in-law's cottage a stone's throw from West Arm Lodge a couple weeks back. Lots of walleye (even some legal ones) on the troll and lots of smallies around the docks, had one big pike or musky hanging out around a dock but the I never bothered to target Esox since the walleye fishing was so good. In my experience, the shallow bays are full of snot rockets but you can get big largies on the frogs over mats early and late or in overcast conditions. Got a couple decent 30"+ fish ice fishing, but never did too well for them in the summer.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Bassterpeice Theatre
Participant
Participant

Post by Bassterpeice Theatre »

Hi Hussein, the friends of mine who live up there and fish it and the French river exclusively troll with live minnows on go getters with a couple of split shot. I have used these and can confirm that you can catch a large volume of fish and if lucky some good keepers. If you're looking just for pike I would think that in a lake that seems to have a lot of fish in it anything that usually works for pike will work there. Spinnerbaits, cranks etc. If going for walleye up there with live minnows and trolling, earie dearies have worked really well for me as the weight is part of the lure with somekind of thin bait line to tie the bait on and limit having to re bait, which means you're not fishing. Hope this helps.