Kayak Fishing in Lanark

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Kayak Fishing in Lanark

Post by badandy »

I mostly fish the Rideau/Jock but now that I have a weekend to myself I'm looking to venture a bit further from home.

Looking to keep it an hour or so from Barrhaven so Lanark looks ideal. Anyone have any favorite lakes that are readily accessible with kayak?

No species preference.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Re: Kayak Fishing in Lanark

Post by badandy »

Think I have it narrowed down to either Charleston Lake or Crotch Lake. Any thoughts on those two?
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

If it's windy Charleston could be too rough to fish for a kayak unless your willing to take a good tour to some quieter waters, besides the fact that you're limited to Smallmouth fishing.
I would suggest Taylor/Clayton for an easy outing. It's literally only two turns once you're on the 417. Pike, Pickerel and Bass along with a healthy panfish population. Taylor in particular has plenty of areas you can access where larger boats don't venture much. Launching on Taylor also gives direct access to the mile long channel between the lakes if it gets real windy.

Enjoy your time out. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
badandy
Participant
Participant

Post by badandy »

Thanks for the response Smitty. I left early before seeing it and tried my luck at Crotch Lake. Launched at the north end right at the dam. Got skunked... seems like a really tough lake to fish. Tons of bare bedrock and not a lot of cover. Was easily the most beautiful lake I've ever fished. Amazing scenery!

On the way back I found a few launches on Dalhousie... looks fairly promising albeit a bit busy. Will definitely add Taylor/Clayton to the bucket list as well. Would go tomorrow but weather looks pretty crap.
1650fishhawk
Participant
Participant

Post by 1650fishhawk »

Have you ever tried Pike Lake it is between Perth and Westport on County Rd 10. The public boat launch is just past Stanleyville Rd there is a little sign at the road for it.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

If I had a kayak the last places I'd fish would be larger lakes with boat ramps, cottages etc.. Why compete with many other anglers with boats that are better equipped and fish that see lots of lures. On Pike or Charleston you might be able to reach only a few spots and not the best spots.

I'd target smaller lakes, lakes with bad access or inaccessible backwaters off larger lakes that most anglers in bigger boats can't access. Get some topo maps and do some research. There are an almost infinite number of waters like this to fish in Eastern Ontario.

One inaccessible backwater off the Rideau I have caught more 5 lbs. plus bass than every other water combined. You can't get to it by boat but you can drop a canoe or kayak off the dirt backroad into the tiny creek that runs into the Rideau and paddle upstream a km where you will find a small lake that's 80 ft. deep and every log or rock on the shore has a big bass on it.

Another spot I found is in the Madawaska Highlands. I drove a logging road back 9 miles and found a gem full of bass that hit topwaters all day long. It likely only gets fished a few times a season

There's more than you could fish in a lifetime. The point is there are many spots perfect for a kayak that very few people fish.
badandy
Participant
Participant

Post by badandy »

Some great suggestions there ganman, thanks. I'm always on the lookout for places like that on the Rideau... did find a swamp near Kars but not much else so far. I'll keep looking!

Thanks 1650 - will check out pike lake for sure.
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

There is another public ramp onto Crotch Lake just off the Ardoch Rd. I think you would have better success for bass there if that's what you're into. Crotch reminds of Lake of the Woods scenery wise.