Got a question? Let's hear it!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Got a question? Let's hear it!

Post by RJ »

We as a community are here to help!

Fish-hawk has been around for well over 10 years now, I can't imagine the information that has been shared and learned over that time, it really is a HUGE asset to the Eastern Ontario angling community.

Recently "Kickurbass" expressed his frustration with Lake St. Francis, long time member and Renegade Bass Radio show host, Paul Shibata jumped at the opportunity to get him some answers from one of the best there is, Doug Brownridge. This exchange led to this post!

While in this case it was great to have Doug answered those questions, almost daily we see questions answered within the membership! In talking to Paul about how this could work he came up with the idea of the question of the week type of deal that he will discuss on the radio show each week. If you answer the question on the site you'll get recognition on the radio show! Renegade Bass has been a long time supporter of Fish-Hawk.net and this partnership in exchange of information is what drives both platforms.

The day we stop learning about fishing is the day to put the rods away.....

RJ
brent86
Participant
Participant

Re: Got a question? Let's hear it!

Post by brent86 »

A question....

Though this might be not what your looking for in a question since it's not fishing strategy related or easily provable

If a fish swallows a hook will it live and digest/dissolve/adapt to the hook in its belly?

Some context of my question. I few weeks ago we were fishing with minnows on a bobber at night. Well we got a BITE! However it was the biggest grandest snapping turtle I've ever scene and we had no choice but to cut the line. I truly hope we didn't cut short the life of that magnificent beast. I'm been doing a little research and the best argument for survival for a swallowed hook is that fish/turtles eat shells and fish with spines so therefore their stomachs are tough but this was a big musky hook.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

brent86 wrote:
If a fish swallows a hook will it live and digest/dissolve/adapt to the hook in its belly?
While I can't answer to your turtle episode I bet it's fine. They are tough buggers.

Fish wise? I do everything I can to get the hook out, I don't subscribe to the cut the line and it'll rust out deal though I have caught fish with hooks in there mouth and one with a tube jig hanging out its butt that I was able to get out.

I did this video on how to remove a deep hooked hook on youtube years ago, if I can see the hook it's coming out. This method is so easy, not only does it save you the hook but it also gives the fish the best chance IMO.

RJ
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I'm looking to start fishing Muskrat Lake this winter. I was wondering what the best tips you have for getting started on lake trout and walleye fishing there. I'm impressed every year with the quality of fish that come out of the lake every winter and I'm looking forward to hitting it up.
AcDcRocker1209
Participant
Participant

Post by AcDcRocker1209 »

This is exactly how I do it. Don't forget while your at it to check for parasites to remove!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

brent86 wrote:A question....

Though this might be not what your looking for in a question since it's not fishing strategy related or easily provable

Some context of my question. I few weeks ago we were fishing with minnows on a bobber at night. Well we got a BITE! However it was the biggest grandest snapping turtle I've ever scene and we had no choice but to cut the line. I truly hope we didn't cut short the life of that magnificent beast. I'm been doing a little research and the best argument for survival for a swallowed hook is that fish/turtles eat shells and fish with spines so therefore their stomachs are tough but this was a big musky hook.

Rj had a great reply to this question, I just wanted to add, we've caught some decent size pike at our cottage.
While preparing it, I always check the gut, we found a full red devil inside it's belly.. I'm sure it's not good for the fish but it survived, until we ate it.
Just my 2 cents.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

My question is .......Drop shotting.

Tips, Techniques,Tackle for Smallmouth bass

Tks
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Trout_83
Participant
Participant

Post by Trout_83 »

This was my first season trying to figure out the drop-shot... I had posted a question about it earlier this season and (I forget who), but someone had recommended the Jackall cross-tail shad. Well, let's just say that it did not disappoint! I've also used live worms on the drop-shot and the problem I have with that is that you end up with a lot of lost worms on really small fish... Anyways, I've had such good success with the cross-tail shad that I actually haven't tried anything else on the drop shot.
2007 Crestliner Fish Hawk 1600, 75 Merc, Terrova iPilot
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Bass Addict wrote:My question is .......Drop shotting.

Tips, Techniques,Tackle for Smallmouth bass

Tks
I profess that Dropshotting is very similar to fishing a Senko, just at depth for the most part. The less you do to the bait the more effective it is.

For river fishing in current, I've seen days where the guy who barely pays attention outfishes the guy who is steadfast is bouncing his weight all over the place. The tiny soft baits in play move around ALOT all on their own in current and simply don't need to be "worked".

In current I want the bait directly under the boat if possible, three reasons.

1. With decent gear you can decipher what the bottom content is, sand? pebbles? boulders? grass? It helps to know. Once you find that transition area and pick up a fish you'll be able to way point that transition and likely start figuring out exactly what they are sitting on and repeat it.

2. Less snags, keep it vertical and the weight is way less likely to get snagged as its bouncing instead of being dragged. Less re-rigging = more fishing.

3. Better hooksets. A simple lift of the rod straight up pins the fish 99% of the time.

When not in a current situation, I make long bomb casts and free spool line as the weight is sinking. I want it to fall straight down, once on bottom tighten the line up and drag/pull it about a foot at a time and let it settle. Repeat. Since you are likely going to be working a deepish piece of structure you'll likely do that 5 or 6 times then reel in and cast again. The bite is a slight tick or a spongy feel. There is rarely a big strike on the drop shot.

Tackle. I use mainline fluro. I recently switched to 7 lb test Sunline, this stuff went on the reels like butter. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but will be next week. I used 8 lb Pline before, it was fine. Hooks I use the 1/0 Owner Downshot hook. Attaching the hook with a Polamar knot then putting the tag end through the eye of the hook to keep the hook pointed straight out.

Rods and reels. I use 7'2" Shimano Cumaras. Backbone yes, but a nice soft tip. You need to be able to really feel everything happening down there. I think dropshotting over every other technique the quality of rod is imperative. A quality reel with a great drag is an asset too. I posted a video on FB a few weeks back of a client landing a 5 plus Smallie. Lots to learn from in that video, no horsing, no panic just steady pressure on a toad coming to the surface. Set your drag fairly loose too and enjoy the fight. Too much pressure and "She Gone!".

Hope that answers some of it BA!

RJ
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Now thats what i'm talking about about right there !

Feels like I just experienced a Seminar on drop shotting. 8)

Watch out now......deep water Smallies !!!!!!

Tks RJ
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Hey there RJ.
Those long bomb casts, I call this system the Poor Man's Carolina rig.
You can cover a lot of water and feel a lot of different structure on bottom.
Sometimes that extra movement while dragging bottom will trigger strikes.
Rod quality is SOOOO important. A lot of my hits, strikes whatever you want to call them, I just feel a little bit of extra weight on the TIP of the rod.
A quick lift and hook is set, fish is on it's way to the boat.
As you know, I've caught a few fresh in my day on the dropshot.
Big thing is don't go overboard on the weight of dropshot weight, depending on current and depth you are fishing.
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

RJ wrote:We as a community are here to help!

Fish-hawk has been around for well over 10 years now, I can't imagine the information that has been shared and learned over that time, it really is a HUGE asset to the Eastern Ontario angling community.

Recently "Kickurbass" expressed his frustration with Lake St. Francis, long time member and Renegade Bass Radio show host, Paul Shibata jumped at the opportunity to get him some answers from one of the best there is, Doug Brownridge. This exchange led to this post!

While in this case it was great to have Doug answered those questions, almost daily we see questions answered within the membership! In talking to Paul about how this could work he came up with the idea of the question of the week type of deal that he will discuss on the radio show each week. If you answer the question on the site you'll get recognition on the radio show! Renegade Bass has been a long time supporter of Fish-Hawk.net and this partnership in exchange of information is what drives both platforms.
The day we stop learning about fishing is the day to put the rods away.....

RJ
Kudos to you Rob and Paul, for a great idea!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Question....

I started using the 50/50 snap weight system to target specific depths for wallèye.
According to the charts for example a worm harness or a lipless lure will go to 18ft at say 2mph with a 1 1/2 oz snap weight.

How will that depth change with a 7m flickershad that dives to 14ft without the weight at the same speed?
In other words, if I have a flickershad on with a 1 1/2 oz snap weight do I add the 14ft to the 18ft to have the actual depth
of the lure at 32 ft.

Or is it less ????????

Sorry about the math
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Grey Ninja if you do a lot of trolling for walleyes you might want to get the book ( or App) called Precision Trolling ( also called The Troller's Bible). It has all the specifications of all the different crankbaits and in the book I think there is a section about trolling with a snap weight and gives you all the info needed,to know exactly at what depth that your lures is at.

My book is about 15 years old and doesn't have the specs for the Flicker Shad.

I'll have to check my book tonight, it might not have the info for the snap weight( not as per what I saw online about it)?? I've never bothered with the snap weight system.
Last edited by Wallyboss on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Thanks for the reply,
I have the PT App and I do a lot of trolling.
The App doesn't include snap weight conversions, just lure, line length and speed.
The Walleye seem to be deeper this year(heat, water levels) and I have had a lot of success with the Flickershads.
I have done some research on the net but its less conclusive than I had hoped on this subject.
I may have to track down a hard copy of Precision Trolling.

They do get the lure down further than its PT depth and collect the surface weeds before they hit the lure.
My thought is that the lipped diver lures will still try to dive though not as much due to the spring type factor of the snap weight.
I've been trying to figure it out trolling over hard bottoms but that usually ends up in snags or salad clumps.
Last edited by grey ninja on Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.