Got a question? Let's hear it!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Got a question? Let's hear it!

Post by Walker »

Have you heard of this product
www.offshoretackle.com › Products.
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Yes I have.
I have the offshore tackle snap weights and planer boards.
I downloaded the dive chart, printed and had it laminated.
I keep it in my boat and use it all the time.
The snap weights come in various sizes and depending on the weight, speed using the 50/50
method you can dial in a crawler harness or stick bait anywhere you want between 5 and 30 ft.
The problem is, will a deep diver crankbait using the same method, dive even deeper than the range on the offshore tackle chart
and by how much?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

If I remember the seminar given by eye-tracker a few years back (which is where I learned about the Precision Trolling Book) is that a crankbait's max depth is the maximum that the crankbait will go down, unless used with a downrigger. It all has to do with the buoyancy of the crankbait. The 50/50 snap weight is used to troll with less line out to achieve the depth wanted. And another thing that Sheldon(eye-tracker) had said was, that the speed had nothing to do with the depth that the crankbait will achieve, just that it will get down to it's max depth faster.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Your right on about speed vs. depth. The buoyancy factor is something I never considered but that makes sense. The maximum depth of a crankbait is based on length of line out and once you get there it won't go any deeper(buoyancy). Isn't a 3oz snap weight in effect a mini downrigger depending on the speed though? If you let 50ft of line out, add a 3oz weight and let out another 50ft, at 1mph its going almost straight down and act like a bottom bouncer. You know, this is what makes fishing so fun, There's always a challenge and so many variables. Thanks.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

That's why when you look at a dive curve for a certain crankbait that at a certain length of line out the curve flattens out. I've never fished with a snap weight and I had no intention of doing it when I went to the seminar so i didn't pay too much attention to the details when he was talking about it.

Try sending a message to "eye-tracker" ( Sheldon Hatch ) (not sure if he's still active on Fish-Hawk) and I am sure that he could explain it to you a lot better than I could. He used to guide on Bay Of Quinte for walleye fishing.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Working on this week's show and already landed Tommy Skarlis to answer these awesome questions about dive charts and snap weights. Given that the Berkley Flicker Shad was mentioned I immediately thought of Tommy Skarlis who helped design that bait. Tommy also is a spokesperson for Offshore Tackle. Tommy has won every major walleye tournament and has been a guest on the show many times, no doubt he'll provide some great information.

Keep the questions coming,

-Paul
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Thank you Paul !!!
I'll be trolling in my boat by 7am, streaming your show as I do every week.
Really looking forward to this one.
Thanks to you Wallyboss and good luck with your persuit.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Clarification wanted for "Big Rideau Lake (The Bog and Long Island)-poo poo and Burgess Twps. Fish sanctuary - closed all year."

I am planning to go fishing on Big Rideau the coming weekend so I looked at the regulation on zone 18 and it lists the sanctuaries as above, but sometimes the wording is not clear. In FMZ 18, the regs for Big Rideau lake say "Big Rideau lake (The Bog and Long Island)-poo poo and Burgess Twps. Fish sanctuary - closed all year" Okay, but look on the map for FMZ 18 and it isn't detailed enough or highlighted the area to show where those portions of the lake are. It gives no reference to where to find such detailed maps. I know there are plenty of water there to try but I still want to be clear about this. Can someone upload a Google map with well marked portions of the restricted area so we could be positive not fishing on a protected water body? Thanks.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

big rideau.jpg
big rideau.jpg (490.97 KiB) Viewed 5807 times

this is how I know it
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Hi RJ, I have another question. When is our friend Jimmy coming back? :ugeek:
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to see.
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

grey ninja wrote:
I've been trying to figure it out trolling over hard bottoms but that usually ends up in snags or salad clumps.
Try and find some sand any time you want to figure out depths ;)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lenny wrote:Hi RJ, I have another question. When is our friend Jimmy coming back? :ugeek:
He's not. Might as well stop asking....

RJ
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Electronics.

Maybe it’s just me being an ol‘ white-haired flip phone owner, and I can accept that, but my new Humminbird 859 is quite intimidating. :confusion-questionmarks:

I have had some minor victories. I got the time right and changed screen colors but I know these machines offer a lot more than I have been able to take advantage of so far. I have sat in the boat at the house with the Big ‘Bird on, manual in hand scratching my head trying to figure out how to get the sonar charts with the one foot(?) contours to come up. If some one could explain to me how to accomplish this, that would be pretty cool.

Thanks,
Drop
Dobyns Army member