Got a question? Let's hear it!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Got a question? Let's hear it!

Post by toobinator »

If you have your sonar charts installed on your Navionics, this is what you do.
With the unit on (of course) press the menu button twice. This will bring up the main menu.
Go to the charts tab, scroll down to maps. I think that's what it's called, going from memory here.
Scroll down to chart, it will say auto.
Press the cursor to the right until it says Fish 'n chip. It might say left or right Fish 'n chip, depending which slot you have the Navionics in.
Press exit until you are out of the menus. It'll take a few seconds to load, but your 1' intervals should come up.

If the chart tab doesn't show up, then go to set-up. Scan down until it says operator mode (or something like that) change it from normal to advanced then go back to the above.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

RJ wrote:
Lenny wrote:Hi RJ, I have another question. When is our friend Jimmy coming back? :ugeek:
He's not. Might as well stop asking....

RJ
Will do. I will indeed stop asking as I'm sure it reminds you how much you miss his insightful comments.
azabache
Participant
Participant

Post by azabache »

Hi RJ,
2 questions;

1. Is there going to be a FHBOVT this month of September?
2. Has there been a particular fish that you wanted to catch and has eluded you so far ? :shock:

Reason for # 2 is that I am still chasing a very " picky" bass that has taken its fair share of my cranks, worms , jigs etc.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, just know I need a different approach to this ! :ugeek:

Thank you for your replies....

Azabache & JUnior.
Erie-Eyes
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Erie-Eyes »

With reference to snap weights & crank baits, I was advised a few years ago by a BOQ guide that the best and easiest rule of thumb was that 1 - a 1 oz snap weight would increase the crank bait dive curve by 1/3. 2 - a 2 oz snap weight would increase the crank bait dive curve by 2/3, & 3 - a 3oz snap weight would double the crank bait dive curve. I still tend to follow this advice.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

azabache wrote:Hi RJ,
2 questions;

1. Is there going to be a FHBOVT this month of September?
2. Has there been a particular fish that you wanted to catch and has eluded you so far ? :shock:

Reason for # 2 is that I am still chasing a very " picky" bass that has taken its fair share of my cranks, worms , jigs etc.
Not sure what I am doing wrong, just know I need a different approach to this ! :ugeek:

Thank you for your replies....

Azabache & JUnior.
At this point I doubt there will be a derby for Sept.

Fish for me? Hmmm. I'd have to travel to do something on my bucket list. Tops on that list being Alligator Gar in Texas, Tarpon in Miami, BC Sturgeon and Rooster Fish in Mexico.

What's up with that Bass that he's getting away? Houdini? :lol:

RJ
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

I was at Petrie Island on week-end,paddling my kayak thru the weeds when bait fish started jumping out from weeds.No sign of Bass/Pike so why were they jumping?
As the fish say
"DROP ME A LINE"

Mark
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Well.....they can't walk can they???? :lol:
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Still looking for the Fish Hawk question of the week? Any species, technique or presentation still frustrates you?

muskie_magnet
Participant
Participant

Post by muskie_magnet »

Fall smallmouth fishing.

My cottage is on a deep rocky lake with very little in the way of weeds. I can catch smallies consistently until around the end of august. Once things start to cool off my success rate goes down the toilet. The pattern I normally fish is 5-10 fow near deep drop offs - top water, wacky rig and cranks.

I'm taking some time off in mid October to try and figure out the fall pattern. I know there are big fish in the lake and if I can figure it out, it could be a good week. The lake is not charted on Navionics but I have a good idea of the structure from fishing it for the past 7 years.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

X2 on the Fall fishing, Northern Grassy lakes, when do you leave the shallows in search for deeper water?
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I've got one that's been on my mind a lot lately. Regarding regs and protecting big fish.

There are a number of lakes west of Ottawa, where you are only allowed 2 walleye and they have to be bigger than 20" (roughly). Yet zone wide, you are only allowed 1 over 18" and 3 smaller ones. I'm wondering what the science is behind the 20" minimum rule. The lake I'm on seems to have a lot of fish in it, and I'd guess nearly every single 20+ inch fish caught gets harvested. The lack of 23, 24, 25 and above inch fish seems problematic to me given the lakes trophy potential. Could it be as a result of this regulation? What percentage of a healthy shield lake walleye population would you think should be 24" or over? Does less than 1% make sense lol?

Thinking broader, why are there no slots protecting large bass? Are they simply not needed? I get that this would mess with the tournament scene, but have always wondered. I have seen many big bass go under the knife in the last few years, and always wonder if it has an impact. Selective harvest isn't something that has seemed to catch on in the valley I suppose....

I'm sure you know a good fishery scientist :lol:
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

bradford2 wrote:I've got one that's been on my mind a lot lately. Regarding regs and protecting big fish.

There are a number of lakes west of Ottawa, where you are only allowed 2 walleye and they have to be bigger than 20" (roughly). Yet zone wide, you are only allowed 1 over 18" and 3 smaller ones. I'm wondering what the science is behind the 20" minimum rule. The lake I'm on seems to have a lot of fish in it, and I'd guess nearly every single 20+ inch fish caught gets harvested. The lack of 23, 24, 25 and above inch fish seems problematic to me given the lakes trophy potential. Could it be as a result of this regulation? What percentage of a healthy shield lake walleye population would you think should be 24" or over? Does less than 1% make sense lol?

Thinking broader, why are there no slots protecting large bass? Are they simply not needed? I get that this would mess with the tournament scene, but have always wondered. I have seen many big bass go under the knife in the last few years, and always wonder if it has an impact. Selective harvest isn't something that has seemed to catch on in the valley I suppose....

This is a very simple to answer as the ones doing the regs in Toronto have never fished or hunted a day in their lives. We need to take a good look at what our neighbors south of the border are doing with their conservation and Hunting and Fishing resources.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

muskie_magnet wrote:Fall smallmouth fishing.

My cottage is on a deep rocky lake with very little in the way of weeds. I can catch smallies consistently until around the end of august. Once things start to cool off my success rate goes down the toilet. The pattern I normally fish is 5-10 fow near deep drop offs - top water, wacky rig and cranks.

I'm taking some time off in mid October to try and figure out the fall pattern. I know there are big fish in the lake and if I can figure it out, it could be a good week. The lake is not charted on Navionics but I have a good idea of the structure from fishing it for the past 7 years.
Those fish have not moved far, fish deeper off those drop offs 20-30fow utilizing bottom contact baits (tubes,drop shot & swimbaits) when you think your fishing slow enough, fish slower.

The fish should stack up along inside turns, deep transitions and underwater humps. Once the water hits 60 degrees the deep water smallie bite really starts to heat up, and it only gets better colder and later into the fall.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

bradford2 wrote:I've got one that's been on my mind a lot lately. Regarding regs and protecting big fish.

On Bobs lake, almost all the walleye are over slot size and hard to catch. The slot size in fmz18 is aproximately 15-19 inches and I rarely catch them in the slot size or smaller. My problem with our lake is the opposite, all the walleyes are 20 inches and up.This makes me wonder about the MNR's restocking programs. I am very concerned about the lack of smaller fish.
All fisherman should know that big fish are females which breed more fish and should be returned to the water whenever possible.
Last edited by grey ninja on Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

One thing that has really been bugging me is when,where,what type of crankbait to use. I love power fishing (spinnerbaits, chatterbaits,jerkbaits) but am completely lost when it comes to cranking. I've caught the odd fish on them but nothing where i feel confident to use the bait.

Brian