Got a question? Let's hear it!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Got a question? Let's hear it!

Post by DropShot’r »

toobinator wrote:If you have your sonar charts installed on your Navionics, this is what you do.
With the unit on (of course) press the menu button twice. This will bring up the main menu.
Go to the charts tab, scroll down to maps. I think that's what it's called, going from memory here.
Scroll down to chart, it will say auto.
Press the cursor to the right until it says Fish 'n chip. It might say left or right Fish 'n chip, depending which slot you have the Navionics in.
Press exit until you are out of the menus. It'll take a few seconds to load, but your 1' intervals should come up.

If the chart tab doesn't show up, then go to set-up. Scan down until it says operator mode (or something like that) change it from normal to advanced then go back to the above.

Ed

Could not find "Maps" in Charts tab. I tried looking at a few things....screwed some things up and managed to get most fixed LOL!!!

My selections and settings under the CHART tab are as follows:

CHARTS

Lat/Lon Grid - Visible
Navaids On Birds Eye View - Visible
Set Simulation Position
Set Map Offset
Shaded Depth - 16ft.
Chart Detail Level - All
Map Borders - All Visible
Spot Soundings - Visible
Auto Zoom - Off
Auto Range - Off
Vessel Offset - Off
Offset Speed - 9kph
Dobyns Army member
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

FishingFreak13 wrote:One thing that has really been bugging me is when,where,what type of crankbait to use. I love power fishing (spinnerbaits, chatterbaits,jerkbaits) but am completely lost when it comes to cranking. I've caught the odd fish on them but nothing where i feel confident to use the bait.

Brian

Just take crankbaits with you the next time you go fishing. Make sure you have a deep diver or two.

There's this Kevin guy who seems to know a thing or two about fishing cranks....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... it+fishing

Good luck.
Drop
Dobyns Army member
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

CBB wrote:
This is a very simple to answer as the ones doing the regs in Toronto have never fished or hunted a day in their lives. We need to take a good look at what our neighbors south of the border are doing with their conservation and Hunting and Fishing resources.
Seriously? I can tell you first hand nobody in "Toronto" played a hand in any regulation change in FMZ 18. Each zone has an advisory panel on any reg changes that may or may not be implemented. You think they have it figured out down there? They don't all come up here for the Poutine, our fisheries BLOW theirs out of the water.
grey ninja wrote: On Bobs lake, almost all the walleye are over slot size and hard to catch. The slot size in fmz18 is aproximately 15-19 inches and I rarely catch them in the slot size or smaller. My problem with our lake is the opposite, all the walleyes are 20 inches and up.This makes me wonder about the MNR's restocking programs. I am very concerned about the lack of smaller fish.
All fisherman should know that big fish are females which breed more fish and should be returned to the water whenever possible.
Those "overs" are the key to restocking your lake. Not a truck dumping fish in.

RJ
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Exactly
muskie_magnet
Participant
Participant

Post by muskie_magnet »

Thanks for the advice. Patience and fishing slow has never been my strong suite but I'll bump it out to deeper water, hit spot lock and work on my slooooow presentation skills. Hopefully I'll have something to post after my week off.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Drop Shot'r: If chart select is not showing up you need to go to the setup tab. Scroll down to user mode. Change it from normal to advanced. Now go back to the chart tab and the chart select option should be there. If this doesn't work, bring the head into the store next time you are in the area and we'll go from there.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

Question for the walleye guys that fish rivers. I've been told when Lindy Rigging in rivers for walleye that I need to use a 7-8ft snell. I consider myself above average walleye angler but have limited river experience. I would think maybe a shorter snell, say 4-5 ft would be better? Reason being the river fish will be glued to the bottom due to less current? Hopefully someone can chime in and clarify this for me. Thx!
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

RJ wrote:
CBB wrote:
This is a very simple to answer as the ones doing the regs in Toronto have never fished or hunted a day in their lives. We need to take a good look at what our neighbors south of the border are doing with their conservation and Hunting and Fishing resources.
Seriously? I can tell you first hand nobody in "Toronto" played a hand in any regulation change in FMZ 18. Each zone has an advisory panel on any reg changes that may or may not be implemented. You think they have it figured out down there? They don't all come up here for the Poutine, our fisheries BLOW theirs out of the water.
grey ninja wrote: On Bobs lake, almost all the walleye are over slot size and hard to catch. The slot size in fmz18 is aproximately 15-19 inches and I rarely catch them in the slot size or smaller. My problem with our lake is the opposite, all the walleyes are 20 inches and up.This makes me wonder about the MNR's restocking programs. I am very concerned about the lack of smaller fish.
All fisherman should know that big fish are females which breed more fish and should be returned to the water whenever possible.
Those "overs" are the key to restocking your lake. Not a truck dumping fish in.

RJ it may be that you are lucky in who is in your area to help with regulations but I can say that in our area this is what has made me think the way I do.

Our walleye association who stocks walleye where only allowed to strip 11 fish for eggs but the boys from the rez where filling coolers and trucks every night no problem on spawning beds we raised money for and put in.

NY MNR wanted to go out and oil the cormorant eggs and harass them to make them move like at Black lake which worked as they are decimating our islands and taking over the islands the seagulls and terns hatch on. Our MNR in toronto said no to this on our side of the river and also when we oil goose eggs in the spring and seagull eggs we are not allowed to oil the cormorant eggs or else.

NY MNR was willing to allow one lic to be good for either side of the border if we would implement the slot on walleye that they had in place. No deal as MNR would not agree to the terms.

I feel for our Wardens as they are very limited on the funds side of our Ministry due to all that is covered under their care. Forest, Mining, Gravel pits, Wildlife and Fisheries as well of watersheds.

RJ
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Working on this weeks show and guest lineup. We've had exceptional feedback on the FH question of the week. Let's hear what you've got for ideas. Maybe a question about knots, (Aaron Marten's been a guest many times before) or perhaps there's a new lure that you need some more input on. I always mention your names if the idea was yours which reminds me to encourage you to include your full name, makes for better radio.

Thanks

-Paul Shibata
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Paul Shibata wrote:Working on this weeks show and guest lineup. We've had exceptional feedback on the FH question of the week. Let's hear what you've got for ideas. Maybe a question about knots, (Aaron Marten's been a guest many times before) or perhaps there's a new lure that you need some more input on. I always mention your names if the idea was yours which reminds me to encourage you to include your full name, makes for better radio.

Thanks

-Paul Shibata
If the Drop Shot master was to be a guest, I’d love to hear his take on the following;

-Does matching the line diameter when utilizing uni-to-uni knots actually matter?
-Should we go straight fluoro, or braid to fluoro leader?
-What’s the best knot to tie considering heat and knot pressure play an important role when using fluorocarbon.
-Positives/negatives to Fluorocarbon.
-Does line conditioner make a difference?
-Why use such small hooks when dropshoting (I think he goes smaller than the average).

And finally, a follow up/update with his transition to Enigma rods.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Hey Mav,

Awesome questions. That said you need to listen to the archived interviews with Aaron. I would need a 2 week mini series for Aaron to answer those questions.The last time he was on, he spoke for 19 minutes straight without taking a breath and that was just his response to what the weather where he was. :lol:

I will definitely get him on soon. It won't be this week though. He's travelling and will be back soon.

Keep the questions coming.

-P
grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Post by grey ninja »

Paul Shibata wrote:Working on this weeks show and guest lineup. We've had exceptional feedback on the FH question of the week. Let's hear what you've got for ideas. Maybe a question about knots, (Aaron Marten's been a guest many times before) or perhaps there's a new lure that you need some more input on. I always mention your names if the idea was yours which reminds me to encourage you to include your full name, makes for better radio.

Thanks

-Paul Shibata
There is a few of techniques I would like to know more about:
The use of spoons: where, when and how and why?. I used to see this elderly guy head out on the lake with a rod with only a spoon on it and come back with a couple of walleye every time. Never got a chance to pick his brain.
Slow death - how do you get it down before the pan fish eat the worm off it?
Do you really need to tune crankbaits?

Jeff
BigC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BigC »

My question concerns water levels.

Up at the cottage which is in the whitewater area it wasn't uncommon to show up on Friday and watch the water levels drop steadily until the following Thursday or so. I always knew to get out early and fish the weeds and the shoreline when the water was high, since that seemed to be when the fishing was the best.

This year I faced water levels that would go up or down by 1 or 2 feet in a day! Needless to say the fishing sucked. How would you approach fishing an area (Bass and pike)that you knew was basically a bathtub that had the plug pulled. I'm just wondering if I'm wasting time during the day and would be better off fishing only the highs and lows rather than trying to figure out the inbetweens...

I was able to take a picture that illustrates the issue I was facing. This is a morning shot and an evening shot of the same fishing hole on the same day. You can see the tip of the log on the right in the first photo and then see how much the water dropped in less then 10 hours.

jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

I would fish the neck down areas, narrows, and points - when filling or emptying there will be more current in those areas. Given the change is in one day, could be good current in some areas. Walleye and sm bass will set up on current or seem to get active then. Seen this at Morris island @ Chats falls where the water levels there don't move as much so your spot so you may get even more current.
Paul Shibata
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Paul Shibata »

Gord Pyzer here to save the day!! Gord will join us in the morning to answer Big C's question about fluctuating water levels. He also has some great tips for Jeff to improve his days when he's trolling Slow Death.

Cheers, see you in the morning!!

Paul