Claybank launch robbers are at it again

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Carmichael
Participant
Participant

Claybank launch robbers are at it again

Post by Carmichael »

Warning to all who use the Madawaska Headpond Claybank launch. Fishing with a buddy today 7:30 - 2:00. Returned to find the truck cap locks broken on buddy's truck.

Had three Lund boat seats, 120 lb air compressor, Onyx inflatable life jacket, Frabril rain pants, net, tote with tie downs and a seat pedestal in it and probably more, stolen. Police report has been made.

The marks on the locks look like a pipe wrench was used to force them open.

Fishing was not good either. Tried worm harnesses by self and on bottom bouncers, a bit of rip jigging and a jerk bait too. One small Eye was all we had for the day (though the perch and rock bass decimated the worms). I always say the Headpond can be cruel. Well it was true in more ways that one today.

Tim
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Claybank launch robbers are at it again

Post by Oneeleven »

I'm so friggen sorry to hear. That sucks beyond belief. :x

And love that you still tacked on a fishing report to such a otherwise- crappy post! :!:
JayHolder
Participant
Participant

Post by JayHolder »

Brutal, too bad your buddy didn't have a trail cam or the like in the vehicle. I really hope someone gets caught in the act soon.
sorry ya's didn't catch anything either :?
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

Carmichael wrote:The marks on the locks look like a pipe wrench was used to force them open
No doubt, one of the pipe wrench's they stole from my tool box........................ which was locked in my truck last year at Baskin Dr. launch.

Worst part of this is that we pay to use Claybank. I see the "pass police" at Red Pine and Horton launch frequently, amazeballs that this keeps happening at Claybank and Baskin Dr. Baffling.
matto25
Participant
Participant

Post by matto25 »

Hey Tim,

Sorry to hear about that man... People are just.... Anyways I rarely come on and post even less but when I saw the post it caught my eye so here I am...

In I'd say early July I was working on my boat and used that launch 4 maybe even 5 times one day and the last time I was testing it out there was a guy there when we arrived, there were other people out on the lake but he was there alone... My friend who was with me spoke to him for a little bit while I parked the car...

It was odd... He was odd I got a strange vibe from him to which I asked my friend when she got in the boat what his deal was because he didn't seem right for lack of better words and she agreed.. I went for a quick rip around the bay and came back to the launch and he was gone? No other boats came I would have seen them so why was he there... NOW.. This guy could have been completely innocent but something tells me otherwise and it doesn't mean it's in any way linked to you but did for sure think it was worth mentioning when I saw it...

I texted her when I saw this and asked her about him again because of this post and here is what I got for what he looked like (keep in mind this was 2 months now) "Brown hair, not very tall...wife beater tank top with a towel on the back of his neck.."
"He talked about being from BC and lived in Ottawa now"

Sorry to hear man...

Cheers.

Matt
Carmichael
Participant
Participant

Post by Carmichael »

Well my buddy has figured out that he lost at least $2,750 in total. Of course he is still not sure he has figured out all he had in the back of the truck. He is going through the process of replacing the stuff now. Over $1,000 to replace the seats alone.

We have seen other posts on robberies at this location and at the Boeing ramp in Arnprior. I recently talked to another fellow who last fall was robbed at the ramp for a lot more than my friend Steve. I also had my boat in the yard broken into a few years ago and lost a couple of thousand in rods, reels, and tackle. It has become a pain to unload the boat after each trip but well worth the trouble.

A hard lesson learned here is that not all of us are good people (though I am sure all on Fish-Hawk are) so we should not carry too much stuff in our vehicles or leave much in our boats. Reality bites sometimes.

Fishing wise, was at White Lake this Tuesday for a fish. Lots of fish and a couple nudging three pounds. Wacky and Texas senkos accounted for most of the fish with a few on shakey heads and drop shot. Could not get the spinnerbait bite going or the jig and pig. Fish were shallow (2 - 6 feet) and most on structure of some sort. The shakey-drop shot fish were on one of my deep shoals.
Can yo say green pumpkin or black.

Thanks for the replies,

Tim
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

all that revenue they are making off that ramp now,they should have patrols or at least cameras in there,,it's always been a bad place to get ripped off,,I remember when it was only a musky spot,and the ramp was in a different spot,but on the same farmland,,and a few ppl. even had their trailers stolen, from off the trucks while parked.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

How does this stop? It HAS to be a local that pops down daily. If I wasn't jammed schedule wise I'd love to go sit there all day.

RJ
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

RJ wrote:How does this stop? It HAS to be a local that pops down daily. If I wasn't jammed schedule wise I'd love to go sit there all day.

RJ
No need for you to be there all day! A couple of well placed trail cams would do the job just fine! You would just deter them but the cams would get good evidence that cops would use wisely!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

That just sounds like a way to get your trail cam stolen... :lol:

RJ
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

I would be really suprised if charges would be laid on the suspect(s) even if caught on camera. Even if charges were laid, there's a good chance the judge will throw the case out of court. This is why the police concentrate on handing out tickets now days. They know the scum make their way back onto the streets. My insurance broker had a lengthy discussion about this and we all wonder why our premiums keep on going up.