Drop Shot

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fisher4
Participant
Participant

Drop Shot

Post by Fisher4 »

Hey guys,

Looking for more information on drop shoting. Was out on White lake today and tired it for the first time and had some success. Nothing to write home about but better then no luck at all. Just curious on what types of baits everyone uses and what depths they generally target so I can hopefully find some bigger fish for next time i'm out with any luck.

Well like I said was out on white lake today besides the few bass I got drop shoting the pike seem to be very active this morning. Got on the water around 8:30 and from then until 10:30 was nothing but pike after pike. The biggest was about 30 inches. My big o took a beating.

Thanks in advance for the info guys

Garry
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Drop Shot

Post by lape0019 »

Let me start by saying I am nowhere near an expert in drop shotting. If you search my posts, you will find many many posts on how I despise this technique.

But, I've finally come around... A BIT.

Last year I was fishing lakes where it was almost needed and decided to give it a chance. I fished muskrat and had my DS combo in my hands for most of the pre fish and caught a few along the way. Luckily, my partner for the event loved Dropshotting so I picked up a deep diving crank on tournament day.

Then later in the season, another friend asked me to pre fish St. Francis with him. He told me to only bring one rod. I didn't listen but managed to keep the drop shot rod in my hand most of the day and actually learned a lot from that day.

Fishing tournaments this year, I've had to do it quite a bit and it has paid off huge. I have to admit that I kind of like it now.

So first off, leave everything else at home and just get to it.

As for the rest of your questions, I usually target 10-20 feet of water. I'd go deeper but don't like to deal with fizzing fish. That is the only reason I stay away from deeper water.

As for gear, I love the Gamakatsu G finesse swivel shot octopus hooks. They are pricey but when you hook a fish, it will rarely come off. They also help a lot with reducing line twist. Line is subjective but I use 20lb power pro as my mainline with about a 10 foot leader of 12lb flouro before the hook. My sinker is usually between 12 and 18" below the hook and I carry weights in 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1oz (this is for franny). I usually fish with 3/8. I started using tungsten this year and there is a big difference but stick with leads for now and use the money saved on a good hook.

And lastly, my go to bait is a Jackal cross tail shad. I haven't found anything that the fish like more. The downside is they are really soft and tear easily. I went through a pack and a half yesterday alone. It's still not bad enough to keep me from using them though.

Keep in mind that you are going to get a wide variety of answers. My buddy uses 1/4oz weight more often then not and I know others who swear by straight fluorocarbon from 6-8lb test. I just like the be able to feel the bottom and I'm using up left over flouro so 12lb is what I have/use.

Good luck and keep at it! You might actually enjoy it one day.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

The great thing about drop shot is you can switch the bait & weight so easily. I've had success drop shotting senkos, tube jigs, gulp baits, goby baits etc...
I've caught Largies & Smaillies on this set up. I perfer around 8-10lb Floro line. I've tried many different hooks, VMC, Gamakatsu, Decoy, Stand outs & perfer the Gammys.
I mostly fish the St.Lawrence so my back lake experience with drop shotting is limited although I did get a few Largies a few weeks ago on the Rideau using this set up.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Great advice above. One thing I'd add (also a newb drop-shotter, but I loved it from the get-go!)... For hook size, go smaller than you'd probably think to go. Like a 1. I also use the hooks Lape suggested above.

I've tried bigger hooks and caught less fish. Smaller hooks just seemed to set themselves pretty much, and I didn't have an issue with losing fish for the size. (For other reasons I sure did tho! :lol: )

I guess if you're using big bait it may not be ideal, but my DS baits are all pretty tiny.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Great tips on using DS! I will give it a try next time. Thanks.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Check the post called " Got a question? Let's hear it! good info on drop-shotting in there too.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

I think a problem lies in thinking that dropshotting is only a light tackle finesse style of fishing. It is that, but it can be so much more if you experiment a bit. From deep water shoals for smallies to 12-15ft. weed lines for largemouth right up to the Rideau River there is no body of water in this area that can not be successfully fished on the dropshot.

Consider the dropshot rig as no more than a Palomar knot with a long tag end. You choose the rod/action, size of hook, line poundage and bait based on the structure you are fishing, not some pre-conceived notion that you have to be using a M/L rod with 10lb 832 and 7lb. flouro leader.

Balance your tackle to the conditions/structure you are fishing.

“If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” - Patton

Have fun,
Drop
Dobyns Army member