Bass fishing advice in Lac Sainte Marie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bass fishing advice in Lac Sainte Marie

Post by seahawk »

Hi,

My friend rented a cottage in Lac Sainte Marie north part this weekend and invite me to go fishing there so I will tow my boat to that lake for bass fishing. My friend is not a fishing guy so he will not be able to give me any advice on bass fishing in that lake. I looked at the ultra bass tournament result in that lake and it seems they have done a lots of bass fishing in that lake and got a big size bass 5+lb too. I am wondering if someone could give me some advices on where to find some quality bass (LMB or SMB) in Lac Sainte Marie and what technique (depth, structure etc.) and lure I should use to catch them. The temperature is still around 28 degree during the weekend though one day forcast is raining whole day and I also found that lake is connected to the river and Navionics web map shows some dams in that lake. I really appreciate if you can help me and give me some tips.

Thanks,

Seahawk
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Bass fishing advice in Lac Sainte Marie

Post by cprince »

I love that whole water way. From Paugan in the south to Lac LaVase in the north. Frogging work well in the back ends and I know that many have great success with drop shotting in the river.

There are islands in the middle of LacStMarie that usually have bigg'uns.

BE CAREFUL in the river portions of that water system. Dead heads are a problem, but if your nose stays low enough and your eyes are open, you should be good.

All of these were in the river.

Favorite part!
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Just came back from the lake and unfortunately I did nit see your reply post before I left to cottage. We caught some fishes LM/SM (maybe 10) but not as many as I expected and not any one size more than 2lb and we went down to the south from main lake as far as to the middle section but didn't go to river section. I used white spinner bait didn't caught any fish but senko generate most of fishes. Most fishes came from main lake area around the stone islands. Thanks for your advice and hopefully next time we can go to this lake fishing again.
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

The main lake is not near as good as it was a little while ago. People are know for their ''shore lunch''...lol. So lots of nice specimens are eaten. The islands were prime spots in the past but since they are fished a lot, you will not find any big ones regularly.

We did manage a 17lbs+ bag in our last tournament with a 5lbs+ kicker fish and a 4.5lbs. But mostly, you will find 2lbs twins across the lake and river. Flipping trees can be very productive.