St. Lawrence River downrigging

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
bsc2000
Participant
Participant

St. Lawrence River downrigging

Post by bsc2000 »

Just want to try something new, but not do the whole needle in a haystack thing.

Are there any spots on the st Lawrence where trolling with riggers is gonna land fish? If so where? and what fish should i target?

I'm located near Brockville but that doesn't really matter.

Thanks all
wino
Participant
Participant

Re: St. Lawrence River downrigging

Post by wino »

Yes,

Think of down-rigging as controlled depth fishing, not just for lakers or salmon. I have use the riggers with the ball only down 10 feet trolling spoons beside weed beds for pike, 20 ft with big "o" for bass and all depths for walleye. I have caught all three and the odd perch with this method. It also helps with weeds as they get stuck on you cable and don't go down to the line/lure. Just keep an eye out as all structure is rock and can be hard on equipment.
:D
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: St. Lawrence River downrigging

Post by CBB »

I fish the St. Lawrence and have used down riggers for all the fish we have out here and they do work but are a lot of work with the current and uneven bottom structure. Now we just use an inline weight system that works great. Dipsy's work great also