Salmon Run in Southern Ontario Question?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MyLifeSemenov
Participant
Participant

Salmon Run in Southern Ontario Question?

Post by MyLifeSemenov »

Fall salmon run is coming up and I'm planning on my trip to southern Ontario. My question is, when does the run typically begin? I would like to plan and prepare for the trip couple weeks ahead. Thanks guys. :D
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Salmon Run in Southern Ontario Question?

Post by zippyfx »

The thing about the salmon run is it happens when it happens and you just have to be ready to go. First big rain after they stage is usually the trigger. Min october to mid November from what I usually hear.
MyLifeSemenov
Participant
Participant

Post by MyLifeSemenov »

zippyfx wrote:The thing about the salmon run is it happens when it happens and you just have to be ready to go. First big rain after they stage is usually the trigger. Min october to mid November from what I usually hear.
So September would be to early? Next Thursday the weather man is promising 10 - 15 mm. Ok, I guess I'll put my rod back :(
Netman
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Netman »

If you plan on fishing in zone 17 the season closes September 30th
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

MyLifeSemenov wrote:
zippyfx wrote:The thing about the salmon run is it happens when it happens and you just have to be ready to go. First big rain after they stage is usually the trigger. Min october to mid November from what I usually hear.
So September would be to early? Next Thursday the weather man is promising 10 - 15 mm. Ok, I guess I'll put my rod back :(
You can try, I saw some people out already targeting them; They are trickling in from what I was told but not good numbers yet.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Have faith in the rain! The salmon out of Co-berg, Port Hope, all the way to the Credit river are ready to head up river. Wait 24-48hrs after a solid rain, and they will be in. I would not doubt there are already a few in the systems. Though, after a big rain they will push hard. If you go in Oct Nov, you are going to find dark beat up salmon ready for dead. Though, you will find the bows. If you want salmon, and it rains on Thurs, go Sat, and be early.

Any other questions, feel free to pm me, or ask on the thread!

F.F
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

My Facebook feed tells me there are Salmon in the rivers already. Plenty of them. Rain will bring the Salmon and the Googans.. :lol:

RJ
Muskie23
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie23 »

Salmon are ready to run at Wilmont Creek, which is allegedly the best producing creek around there. Last weekend, the salmon jumping repeatedly about 150m out, but the creek is too low for them.

And there's some distasteful people there fishing for the roe and leaving the rest of the carcass on the beach or in the shallow water. Also some netting the fish as it comes up the 3' wide creek mouth. And more trash than you ever want to see. But the salmon will start running as soon as the creek comes up with some rain.

We need more conservation officers.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Good too know! Unfortunately does not look like I will be able to make it that far.... sigh....

Buddy I know caught one off shore staging at port hope late last week.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Good too know! Unfortunately does not look like I will be able to make it that far.... sigh....

Buddy I know caught one off shore staging at port hope late last week.
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

Your best bet for catching biters is to fish close to the mouth/in the harbours with skein or glow plugs/spoons. 95% or more of the fish caught in the river are snagged or "lined/force fed." If you find pods of unspooked fish you can get them to bite. It's a crap and I don't bother going until the salmon are all dead and browns/steelhead are coming in. They are increasing enforcement on the Ganaraska this year which will hopefully improve an annual sh*tshow.