Bike Fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Bike Fishing

Post by kevinv »

I was out on the weekend, and I seen some kids cycling with their rods, and tackle boxes in hand. It reminded me as a kid doing the same for catfish at our cottage. It got me to thinking of an idea i once had to rig up something to hold my gear to go to remote areas by bicycle, or hike in. I did a google search, and came up with a few trailers, and bike addons for fishing. Has anyone done this for remote fishing? how did you rig it to your bike?
OntarioRider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Bike Fishing

Post by OntarioRider »

My son bought an old child carrier trailer to build a trailer to haul around a lawn mower last summer to cut grass around town. In his shop class he modified it to haul his kayak this summer so he could haul it to the river.
It needed a longer pull bar and slight modification for a cradle to hold kayak.
It has big bicycle tires that are quick release and it pulls nicely. He hasn't gone offroading with it but I imagine it would be an easy pull.
The trailer cost him $30.
You could fit a lot of gear in one of those trailers .. it would be like heading out ice fishing except on wheels.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Tons of people mod their bikes to go up and down along the Cape Cod Canal. Search Cape Cod Canal fishing bikes.

Here is one with a Nice bluefish and a striper. :D A bit overloaded but I would not complain!
525.jpg
525.jpg (176.01 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
Rod
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

The only mod I did was to put a geeky basket on the front and I often tie a bucket on the back.

I used to have a more complicated milk-crate/rod holder setup, but now just take telescopic rods with me instead, they have really become so good now, and so compact, that they just fit in the bike basket.

There are tunnels that pass under the Ottawa River Parkway that destroyed several of my rods, they were just too tall. It was a motivator for switching to the telescopic.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Brings back memories as we peddled all over to fish and when we had our store on the river my Mother would put pictures on the wall of fish caught and most were from the kids fishing with worms.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

Thanks to everyone who have posted so far. Got me some to thinking of what to do now, and some planning for next season. To many ideas, and places I want to try. Will post pics latter of my future adventures, and what I come up for bikes and fishing.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Bikes are quite versatile. Can easily add a side-car, or a tag-along 3rd wheel.
At that point, you would only be limited by your imagination.

See below for a few examples... just replace the carcasses with fishing gear :lol:

joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Yes i did used my bike to get to place to fish!

I know few guys doing also,,,along the rideau canal. Its a perfect veh to cruise along the canal and try a few cast at deferent spots.

Its a great veh to be used also with a mini trailer. To carry a kayak or canoe... To some remot small road or again to local spot in town.

More should used bikes.
Can bike right to the spot,,get some exercise we all need lol. And its green way to travel.

Great tread :wink:

Joco
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

One of our favourite walleye shore spots requires nice walk which is a few kilometres down this trail... Over the years we've gotten older so now we bike down the trail. It's great!!!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.