Deep Water at Dunrobin Shores

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Deep Water at Dunrobin Shores

Post by scarkner »

I am hoping to try my luck in a new (to me) area of the Ottawa River. I was surprised to see on Navionics that there is 100+ feet of water all along the shore of the Ottawa River near Dunrobin Shores.

Can anyone provide some guidance about what i might find at the bottom of those deep zones? Catfish and Sturgeon for sure, maybe Ling... but am I likely to pickup anything interesting like brown or lake trout? Will Walleye go that deep midday?

Or am I better to fish the shallower flats on the edge of the deep zones?

Thanks!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Deep Water at Dunrobin Shores

Post by smitty55 »

Use to hear stories of lakers in that stretch of water but never did confirm it.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

It'll be interesting to see what you pull out of those depths.

I've fished that stretch many times and have had little to show for it. I expect your techniques will have better results then mine. Go for it.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

I've trolled that stretch with downriggers many times chasing the legend of lakers being in there... Tried a lot of different things, trolling atleast, spoons, cranks,spinners with worms, spinners with minnows, slow, moderate speed.... Only thing I ever caught was an 8 inch sauger down 75 feet. I've heard lakers were stocked at some point but thinking about it with how much they rely on sight to hunt I don't think the water is clear enough.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

fishingcarpenter wrote:I've trolled that stretch with downriggers many times chasing the legend of lakers being in there... Tried a lot of different things, trolling atleast, spoons, cranks,spinners with worms, spinners with minnows, slow, moderate speed.... Only thing I ever caught was an 8 inch sauger down 75 feet. I've heard lakers were stocked at some point but thinking about it with how much they rely on sight to hunt I don't think the water is clear enough.
Well that's good to know!
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Lots of cats around there and some nice pike now and then just not in the real deep water. Mooney and drum are there as well from what I have seen. But in the real deep water I have never seen a thing come out
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
PunchRig
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by PunchRig »

I've caught alot of good musky along the grass flats adjacent to the deep dropoff on the breckenridge side,and have caught nice smallies fishing the baitballs when it turns oct/nov. cold, we fish that stretch thru mid dec. for musky,and that's all I ever catch there.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I've seen those deep marks on the sonar too, my bet is they're mooneyes and a waste of time. No way they're Lakers IMO.

RJ
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

We did go out, but ended up mostly fishing the flats. Great day for bass and a big drum. Even snagged a Sauger in the middle of the day!